2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2018 1:38 PM by Jim Dehner

String manipulation, Calculated fields, and filters...

david white

Hello, All.

-I've got a table I'm working with that has 50,000+ items in an item number field and a description field.

-I want the user to be able to filter on these items under one search bar so I created a calculated field with the desired appearance by concatenating the two fields [combo] : '(' + [id] + ')  - ' + [desc]

-Once the user has selected an item from this [combo] filter I need to filter against the original [id] portion of the [combo] selection.

Example:

User chooses (13) - Red Shoes

Filter my order table by [id]=13

Is there a way to access the original members of that calculated field?

Or is there an easier / better method of doing this?

Thank you!

David

• 1. Re: String manipulation, Calculated fields, and filters...
          Deepak Rai

We need a workbook for exact your situation to help you.

• 2. Re: String manipulation, Calculated fields, and filters...
            Jim Dehner

Hi

first the way you went -

you created a calculated filed by concatenating 2 fields - the effect of that is to drop another column in the table that underlays the viz - so now there aren't 2 columns there are 3 - you can set up your filters in from the least specific to the most specific - using Only relevant values as shown below - (that is the opposite of you posted but you can't go back up the filter)

a second approach is to create groups (actually I would be surprised if these groups weren't already in your data base as "Product Group" Product Family" or something else

then do a search

the group them together as shown

but again you are going from least specific to most specific

The third way ( the one I would do with 50k skus - is to set up a cross reference table outside of tableau in excel and upload it

the table would have a column for the MOST specific level and another for each higher level that you want in the hierarchy

then bring it into tableau and join on the most specific dimension (SKU)

good luck

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.