4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 2:26 PM by Yeok Song Ng

Create multiple layer of datasource that is dependent on each other

Yeok Song Ng

I have datasource A which was created by my IT and it is connects to our Oracle server.

I want to implement my own naming convention to wrap around their fields and also add some of my own calculation. Therefore i created datasource B.

Then because i want some field to be out and i created datasource C and D.

I want any changes in B to be reflected in C and D automatically and any changes in A to be automatically reflected in B, C and D automatically.

May I know if this can be done and how ti can be done?

t1.PNG

Thank you for your time.

• 1. Re: Create multiple layer of datasource that is dependent on each other
          Amber Loranger

Hello Yeok Song,

I feel I'm missing some context to really answer this question. Where are you creating the data sources - are they materialised tables in your database? extracts created in Tableau Desktop? Flows created in Tableau Prep? Something else?

At any rate, if they are all based on the same underlying data, then they should all update whenever the underlying data changes, exception being that an extract would need to be refreshed or a flow re-run to get that data updated.

• 2. Re: Create multiple layer of datasource that is dependent on each other
            Yeok Song Ng

Hi Amber,

My base data are stored in Oracle.  Everyday Datasource A will query Oracle. Datasource A is an extract.

What i need is to have new calculated fields, dimension/measures automatically appear when the datasource layer below is updated.

For example, if a new field is created in Datasource A, it should automatically appear in Datasource B. Is it possible?

• 3. Re: Create multiple layer of datasource that is dependent on each other
              Amber Loranger

Thanks for the additional info.

So, all data sources will be based on the base data source (the Oracle data).

If new data/new fields are added to the Oracle data, it will appear in any of the data sources based on this data.

Calculated fields however are based on the individual data source they are created for, so they do not copy over to other extracts, for example.

Right now there is not a way in Tableau to have data sources dependent on each other in the way you describe, or automatically copy calculated fields from one extract into another one. You can submit an idea in our ideas forum for other folks to vote up: Ideas

our Product Managers review these ideas from time to time in order to consider what features to add to future releases.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Create multiple layer of datasource that is dependent on each other
                Yeok Song Ng

Thank you Amber. Thats what i need to know.

Someone gave me the impression the tableau can automatically update new fields over from another datasource via some dependency mechanism. Thanks for clarifying that this feature is currently not available.