6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2018 6:05 PM by Grace Raj

Actual vs Budget Comparision

Kailash Negi

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to tableau and am sorry if the questions sounds like dumb. Actually I am trying compare Actual vs Budget in tableau, for this I have created a side by side bar graph which shows Actual and Budget side by side for each year however I also want to show the variance% on top of this bar graph as a line chart.

I have attached the packaged workbook here and my tableau version is 10.0.5. Could you guys please help?

I would also appreciate if someone can suggest a better way to visualize this.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Actual vs Budget Comparision
          Wesley Magee

Kailash,

You could try a layout like this:

This is a dual axis chart. I created a variance calculation that looks like this:

(SUM([Actual]) - SUM([Budget])) / SUM([Budget])

I also created a calculation to color the bars whether they are above or below budget that looks like this:

IF [Budget Variance] > 0 THEN "Exceeded Budget"

ELSE "Below Budget"

END

Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

-Wesley

• 2. Re: Actual vs Budget Comparision
            Bryce Larsen

Hello! Quite similar to the above, I colored each bar based on performance vs budget (outperforming, underperforming, and no budget are blue, orange, and gray, respectively). Budget is shown as a Gantt bar. I chose this over using a reference line due to the simple fact that you can't customize tooltips on the reference line.

I bolded the performance (Actual) and then placed a colored arrow above each bar with the variance %. I looked into doing the variance trend line as you mentioned, but a lot of the time the variance was a negative number, so this made it a bit difficult to graph on top of the bars if doing dual axis.

So, instead I did Actual + Budget as reference line and then Variance as a line graph stacked on top of one another to ensure they stayed separated. Then I removed some of the grid lines accordingly and added banding to group the Measures together:

Maybe this is close to what you wanted? I woudl upload but unfortunately I'm using 10.3.

Best,

Bryce

• 3. Re: Actual vs Budget Comparision
              Kailash Negi

Thanks Wesley Magee

However I want to show it in side by side bar graph and variance as you're showing currently.

Also I want to have colors highlight the variance that is >5% or <5% instead of absolute above or below budget?

Thanks a lot for the help!!

• 4. Re: Actual vs Budget Comparision
                Kailash Negi

Hi Bryce Larsen

The second one is close to what I need however I would want to show it as a side by side graph and then the variance as a line graph as you've correctly shown. Also can we have colors highlight the variance above and below a certain percentage?

It would be great if you can explain the steps since you can't post the .twbx because of version issue.

Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Actual vs Budget Comparision
                  Bryce Larsen

Hello! Sorry for delay. Essentially you just make have two metrics:

• Actual, as already defined in the data
                  • Variance - a calculated field of: (SUM([Actual]) - SUM([Budget])) / SUM([Budget])

You can then use the Variance result to create a field that will be used to color: CF_Variance_Color

Here you can just make a discrete calculated field:

IF ISNULL([Budget]) THEN 0

ELSEIF [Variance] > .05 THEN 1

ELSE -1

END

This will assign all metics/dates that don't have a budget a 0, all that are 5% ahead of budget a 1, and all that are below or up to 5% ahead of budget a -1. You can use these to color.

I then put both of these on the Rows shelf along with the Metric and added some row banding to color and group the Metric calculations together.

Hope this helps!

Bryce

• 6. Re: Actual vs Budget Comparision
                    Grace Raj

Hi Bryce,

Can you please share workbook package for this sheet..It will be help to follow the steps.

Thanks

Grace