1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2018 3:25 PM by Michel Claessens

Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers

Ethan VanZant

I've spent most of today researching how to handle sheet swapping, and I came across some old threads where Joe Oppelt and some others went into detail about how to stack floating containers with one sheet each in them. In those threads, it is said that you will be able to see tooltips and actions for underlying containers after publishing the workbook, but no matter what I do I cannot get the tooltips to show up once published. Has something changed that doesn't allow this anymore? If not I'll post my workbook on here to see if there is anything specific that I am doing wrong.

Thanks!

Ethan

• 1. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
          Joe Oppelt

You are not wrong.

They "fixed" something in 10.4 and that's when we lost that behavior.

Now we have to get more creative.  I hacked up a superstore example of another way to handle this, but I can't find it right now.  Let me keep looking.

• 2. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
            Joe Oppelt

Here it is:

Sheet popping behavior has changed in 10.5 (actually starting with 10.4)

I need to do a new video for swapping/popping.  There were things about the old video I didn't like, and now there is this issue that really needs to be addressed.

There is a workbook in the reference link.  That's should get you going.  If you need ideas or help implementing this, ping back.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
              Ethan VanZant

Thank you so much Joe Oppelt !  I'm going to spend a while playing around with this, I'll get back to you in a bit if I am still having trouble

• 4. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                Ethan VanZant

It turns out that I can't open your example since it is using v10.5 and we are still using v10.3, is there any chance you can export your example as an earlier version?

In the meantime I've been reading about just doing sheet swapping in one container with lifter sheets instead. However, I am stuck on trying to figure out how the idea of "lifter" sheets work.

Below is a screenshot of part of the dashboard I am working on. Basic rundown is I have 7 different views of a graph that users need to be able to change between using the drop down. Do you think doing the sheet swap with a left and right lifter sheet would be the best way to go about this? Or would what you linked me to this morning be the better route?

• 5. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                  Joe Oppelt

Attached is a 10.3 version of what I did.

But if you are on 10.3, you shouldn't be encountering the problem you're describing.  That doesn't come until 10.4.

You might be doing your swapping and/or popping incorrectly.

In the attached, Dashboard 1 is doing Popping.  It is popping one sheet over another.  When it is "un-popped", in 10.3 you can still drill down to the underlying sheet.  In 10.4 you no longer can do that.  If you have just positioned the sheets over top of each other, you will not be able to "drill through" no matter what version you are on.

Dashboard 1(2) demonstrates a new way to flip the two (or more) sheets in and out without encountering the problem if the new 10.4 behavior.  This is still using the popping technique, using a pushing sheet to move something into view.

Take a look at Dashboard 3 though.  This is using Swapping.  Both sheets live in the same container.  Instead of using Sheet 3 (which is controlled by the value of the parameter) to push them around, only one will display because they both use the calc field that looks at the parameter.  One displays when the param = N, and the other when the param = Y.  No popping sheet necessary.

The concept of a lifter comes into play when you have a big pile of sheets swapping in the same container.  Each non-displayed sheet retains a sliver of space about 9 pixels wide.  Sometimes those remnants become a problem, and that's when you have to use a "lifter" to manage the space occupied by the remnants.  Before going into all that, though, take a look at these dashboards and see if the second or third dashboard takes care of your needs.

• 6. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                    Ethan VanZant

Thank you for the prompt and detailed responses!

Dashboard 3 is what I had tried originally, but since there are 7 sheets to swap between those 9 pixels add up (especially since I'm trying to keep the graphs lined up with some info above).

Seeing your example now, I realized I wasn't popping the sheets correctly. I'm going to retry what I had and I'll get back to you.

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                      Joe Oppelt

Attached is a sheet swapping example (Tableau V8.2) that swaps 20 different sheets.  It uses a lifter to manage all those 9-pixel remnants.

• 8. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                        Michel Claessens

Hello,

I am using Tableau 10.3.2 and I can't seem to be able to reproduce what you did in your file "SHEET SWAPPING_VT(3).twbx". Among other things, I do not quite understand how the 2 data sources ("Sample - Superstore" and the "Clipboard_20141006T210529.xls") interact and how they should be linked. Part of my confusion probably also comes from the fact that the same names seem to be used across data sources and types of variables (Dimensions and Parameters). Would there be another thread or page where the process to get to your sheet swapping example is more detailed by any chance?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer!

Michel

• 9. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                          Joe Oppelt

Michel -- are you trying to swap a whole bunch of sheets?  Or just a few?  The "SHEET SWAPPING_VT(3).twbx" example is only there to demo how to deal with the little 9-pixel remnant of the non-displayed sheets in the container.  Usually if you only have 2 or 3 sheets it's not an issue.  If you're just doing a small number of sheets, don't let "SHEET SWAPPING_VT(3).twbx" confuse you.  Look at the video of sheet swapping here instead:

We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.

• 10. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                            Michel Claessens

Hello,

I have seen this video and successfully implemented it already . It is a great tip! But, as you mentioned it, the 9 pixel change is a problem for my application, and not only because of my OCD. I have about 8 sheets to swap and since the dashboard is for leadership, cleanliness would be an important feature too.

Michel

• 11. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                              Joe Oppelt

OK, I got it now.  Yes, you need the confusing workbook! 

In the attached I changed some things to help demonstrate what's going on in there.  I widened Sheet 21 (which is really the most important thing in there) and changed the [FILTER] pill to do "show header".  When you are in that sheet, mess with the [CHANGE SHEET] parameter.  You will see the number of rows grow to the size of the number selected in the parameter.  The height of the rows are sized to match the 9-pixel height of the sheet remnants.

I likewise widened Sheet 22, which is at the bottom of the container.  And I turned on "show header".  It turns out that we really don't need this one.  Sheet 21 pushes the whole pile down (or up, depending on the parameter value) and sheet 22 fills in the remaining space at the bottom of the container.

Click on "Presentation mode" when you are editing the dashboard.

Now mess with the parameter.  Basically what is happening here is that the sheet at the top is displaying 1-through-N based on the parameter value.  That pushes the stack of sheets and remnants x-many "chunks" down so that the displayed sheet is in the precise same viewing area no matter which one is selected.  And the one at the bottom is displaying N+1-through-20 to fill out the rest of the container.  Again, I think we could have gone without that one when all is said and done.  (Hit "esc" to get out of presentation mode.)

The data source for these two sheets is that clipboard.  Actually it's just the numbers from 1 through 20.  We just need something to display x-many teeny rows to push around all those little 9-pixel remnants.

What I just saved here is the same workbook, but upgraded to 9.2.  You can actually upgrade this to your version, and I think you can then cut-and-paste those two sheets into your workbook.  It will bring in the clipboard data source for you.  The sizing of the rows will already be done for you.  you can then adapt this to your own application.

• 12. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                                Michel Claessens

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the additional clarifications. I will work on it and let you know whether I am successful.

Thanks a lot again for all your help!

Michel.

• 13. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                                  Michel Claessens

Hello Joe,

So, I think I got most of it working. What I am struggling with is how the dashboard itself is built.

Are the steps:

1- Create a vertically tiled dashboard

2- Insert the sheets to swap in numerical order, each sheet being added at the bottom of the container

3- Display the CHANGE SHEET parameter on the right side bar

4- Make each visible sheet floating and change the coordinates to something like x=8, y=20, then adjust the size of each sheet (h and w) to cover the container size

5- Change the y coordinate of sheet 21 to a negative number like y=-150

6- Revert back all sheets to not floating

When I try it though, I cannot get the nifty result you have in your example. Do I need to add a container for  each sheet? When I float the sheets by the way I can see the lines of the inactive ones in the background. IS there a formatting step making the background of the each sheet not transparent?

I attached my attempt Tableau file trying to swap between 4 random sheets.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Michel.

PS: I did not use sheet 22 or 23, and I did not remove the sheet titles yet so that I can still see what I am doing.

• 14. Re: Stacked Containers/Sheet Swapping: Tooltips not showing up for underlying containers
                                    Joe Oppelt

Sheet 23 is just a title sheet.  you're right.  It's just window dressing.

You want to put all the sheets (other than 23) in one container.  In this screen shot I show what the layout hierarchy looks like in both 9.2 and 10.5.  (What version are you using so I can show things in your native version?)

And you will notice that they are added into the vertical container in reverse order.  The container is a floating container, not a tiled dashboard.

The parameter can go wherever you want on the dashboard.

Don't float the sheets individually.  Put them all in one container and float that one container.

Edit my example workbook.  Pick some number in the middle, like 5.  In the layout list, click on Sheet 1 at the bottom of the list of sheets in the container.  You will see a thin strip at the bottom of the container on the dashboard.  Click on 2.  It's thin strip is just above the strip for 1.  Then 3, and then 4, etc.  When you click on the sheet you selected, it will get outlined.  Above the selected sheet are the thin strips for the remaining sheets.  It is these thin strips that Sheet 21 is managing.  If you pick 5, there are 15 thin strips above it, and 4 below it.  We want the whole line of sheets/strips to bump down 5 thin strips.  If you had picked 16, then sheet 21 would display 16 rows and bump the line down 16.  And whichever sheet is selected, it always gets displayed in the exact same location.

Oh. I just opened your workbook.  I see you are on 10.3.  I'll use that from now on.

So attached is your workbook modified to do this.  The rows in Sheet 21 seem to have been modified slightly (probably in translation from 9.3 to 10.3 on the "copy".)  I shrunk them ever so slightly.  I added a floating container I colored black for the sake of reference so you can see the sheets all lining up in the same spot.  (Note:  Starting with V2018.2 we get a neat new feature that can put a grid on the dashboard so we don't have to do this hack of adding a reference object for alignment.)

I edited the filter on each sheet to display only for the specific number associated for that sheet.

(On each I added a bogus calc dimension, [A].  For swapping to work correctly there has to be at leas on dimension on a sheet.  Adding a constant-value dimension doesn't change the layout of the sheet at all, except that it displays "A" until I unchecked the "Show Header" option for that pill.  So when

you look at the sheets, that's what's going on there.)

1 2 Previous Next