4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2018 5:44 AM by Xinjie Yu

Modify online data in tableau server

Xinjie Yu

Dear tableau community:

I built a tableau workbook using an excel file as the data source, and I have uploaded to the tableau server, but I can not edit the data in the server, I was wondering if there is any way for me to edit the data source online?

Thank you!Captureexcelfile.PNG

• 1. Re: Modify online data in tableau server
          Brandon Babbitt

Xinjie,

The reason the "Edit Connection" option is grayed out here is because this is a flat file connection (.xlsx).  Flat file connections cannot be edited on Tableau Server.  Only database servers (MS SQL, Oracle, Amazon Redshift, etc) are able to edit the connection to the data source.

Is there a specific use case for needing to edit the connection on Tableau Server?  Can you publish without including external files so that Tableau Server reaches out to the UNC path file location for an update?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Modify online data in tableau server
            Donna Coles

Xinjie, just to add further clarification.

The Edit Connection if enabled, would only allow changes to be made to connection info (eg the server /database where the data comes from).  As Brandon said, this isn't possible for flat files.

If what you were asking was about editing the actual data itself through Tableau server, then this is not possible for any type of data source.  Tableau is read only and has no 'write back' capabilities.  Any changes to the actual data itself, need to be made at source (ie update the excel file directly, change the SQL query etc etc).

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Modify online data in tableau server
              Xinjie Yu

Hi Brandon:

Thank you for your kindly reply, I really appreciate for your help, the use case is that I got monthly report and wanted to add to the tableau server so that the dashboard can be updated automatically, not manually uploading the file.

Again, thank you so much for the help!

Xinjie

• 4. Re: Modify online data in tableau server
                Xinjie Yu

Hi Donna:

Thank you for your kindly reply, I really appreciate it! My problem is that I keep receiving monthly reports ( Excel files) and I don't want to manually update all the data and re-upload to the tableau server, so if I want the changes to be updated automatically, it has to be in a data server right?

Thank you so much for the help!

Xinjie