2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2018 11:34 AM by Corey Turner

Tableau and PDF for reporting

Kyle Schaefer

I am struggling with how to tackle a reporting problem using Tableau.

I have 5 entities that I need to create a report for. The report must be the same format for each (ie same columns). Only the entity changes, which drives a data change, which changes the number of rows. Due to this, each report will be a different number of pages. The report must have a standard header on each sheet with a standard legal disclosure attached to the last sheet and each page needs to be numbered. Ultimately, this will be a PDF and delivered via email.

Is there a way to achieve this type of report? I need to select the entity in a dropdown and have the data update. Then, I would like to just hit a button, or print, and have the header, pages and disclosure in the appropriate place, and have a PDF generated. Everything I have seen involved custom js or backend scripts.

Let me know if this question doesn't make sense. I'm pretty terrible with Tableau, so not sure I explained this correctly.

• 1. Re: Tableau and PDF for reporting
          Corey Turner

Kyle,

This is definitely doable in Tableau... the process may depend on what products you are using...

In Desktop for example: you can build a dashboard that has your preferred look and set up your entity with a parameter or filter which will change the data. Then you could just click File -> print to PDF. (There are some export options)

On Server there are a few ways to download PDFs, either using the toolbar to download a PDF or using url parameters.

If you need to automate this and had tableau server, you could leverage tabcmd to export multiple PDFs.

Does that help answer your question?

• 2. Re: Tableau and PDF for reporting
            Corey Turner

To add some more detail...

manually creating PDFs doesn't require writing a script.

if you needed to automate generating the reports then you would need to most likely write a script.