3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2018 6:33 AM by Toby Erkson

Are all users paid for?

Morten Gabrielsen

Hi, I'm new with both Tableau and the REST API. First of all I'm interested in extracting users, and information about every user. So far so good.

What I'm wondering about though is if all users are paid for in a subscription, or if there are possible to have free users or guests, that are not paid for?

And is it possible to get information from the API whether they are paid for or not?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Are all users paid for?
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Morten,

I see a couple  different questions here that may need some additional follow up.   Are you using Tableau Server or Online?  What version of the product?  What type of licensing are you setup for?

In general - there are no guest licenses with Tableau Server or Online.  There are options under Tableau Server that allow for guest access with special licensing arrangements (we use this sort of arrangement to display the visualizations you can find here: Ideas and Crow's Nest.  Users accessing these visualizations utilize a single "guest" account though so that is pretty easy to determine and all access rights are provided by that guest account. 

If you need details about your license configuration, please contact your Tableau Account Manager. 

I hope that helps. 

Patrick 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Are all users paid for?
            Morten Gabrielsen

Thanks for answer.

I'm currently on a 14 day trial license using Tableau Online. The question though relates to both Server and Online (and does not relate to trial subscriptions). So I'm wondering if there are products or subscriptions (not necessarily my specific subscription) that allows for non-paid guest users. I'm only thinking about the users which you can query information about through the REST API, that is, through one of these calls, or similar:

Get users on site: GET /api/api-version/sites/site-id/users

Get users in group: GET /api/api-version/sites/site-id/groups/group-id/users

Query user on site: GET /api/api-version/sites/site-id/users/user-id

So the users which these calls return, are they always paid for?

Hope this clarifies.

Morten

• 3. Re: Are all users paid for?
              Toby Erkson

Guest Access is for core-based licensing only, there are no other licensing options that allow for Guest Access.

Guest Access is limited towards viewing and interacting with vizes. 

You could use a Tableau workbook to get the data you seek and that would allow guest users to view the info.

1 of 1 people found this helpful