2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 12:38 PM by Paul Schatz

Nested sorting survey data with more than two dimensions

Paul Schatz

Hello,

Long time Tableau user, first time Tableau community poster. I mostly use Tableau with re-shaped survey data. I typically create Gantt charts with one or two breakout dimensions (for example, a question bank item and a demographic field), sorting on the sum of the top 2 responses of a 4-point scale. Now I'm trying to give the users the option of applying up to three breakout dimensions (Group 1, 2, and 3 in the file) in addition to the question bank item ('Leaf' in the file). That part words fine, but I can't seem to get it to sort correctly. I tried creating a combined field of the three 'Breakout' dimensions and with the three 'Breakout' dimensions plus 'Leaf', but I can't get it to work in this case.

I want it to sort at the lowest level, which could be Leaf, Breakout 1, 2, or 3 depending on how many of the 'Breakout' parameters have been selected. For example, if all three 'Breakout' parameters are set to 'All' then it sorts by 'Leaf.' If Group 1 has been selected for 'Breakout 1' then it sorts by 'Leaf' then 'Group 1.' And so on.

Thank you for any help!