3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2018 12:47 PM by Michael Prokop

Dual Axis Chart with Dual Parameters?

Mark Fagan

Is it possible to create a dual axis chart with each axis selected by its own parameter using the same measure with a different value,  I have found a few examples close to what I need but none seem to be working for my scenario.

This link  Dynamic Dual Axis Chart with Cascading Parameter is close at the bottom of the post but does not appear to be working out from Manideep Bhattacharyya .  Maybe because I am using the same measure for each parameter even though I select a different value?

Thank you,

Mark

• 1. Re: Dual Axis Chart with Dual Parameters?
          Shinichiro Murakami

Hi Mark,

Could you please attach your sample data as TWBX format.

Thanks,

shin

• 2. Re: Dual Axis Chart with Dual Parameters?
            Mark Fagan

Due to the sensitivity of the data I cannot post, just wanting to see if anyone has any advice if this has been done before.  I will try to recreate something later using a sample database...  Thank you

• 3. Re: Dual Axis Chart with Dual Parameters?
              Michael Prokop

Yes, I've done it and it is possible.  Here is what I had to do:

For the 2 different measures, I created 2 separate parameters called "Measure 1" and "Measure 2".  Make each parameter a listing of metrics/measures you would like to give the user the option to select.  Each of those parameters will then feed a Calculated Field that will output whatever measure you want it to (Avg Sales, Total Revenue, etc).  Setup this calculated field (calling it Measure1 Select) with either IF/THEN or CASE.

Example (IF/THEN):

IF [Measure 1] = 1

THEN AVG([SALES])

ELSEIF [Measure 1] = 2

THEN SUM([Total Revenue])

END

Example (CASE Statement):

CASE [Measure 1]

WHEN 1 THEN AVG([Sales])

WHEN 2 THEN SUM([Total Revenue])

END

Do the same thing for your second measure in another calculated field called "Measure 2 Select".

Drag your Date field on to the Columns shelf.  Drag [Measure 1 Select] and [Measure 2 Select] to the Rows shelf, right click on [Measure 2 Select] and pick the "Dual Axis" option.  You can synchronize your axes if need be, etc. 

Let me know if that works for you.