2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2018 4:28 PM by Wesley Magee

Period to date with 13 periods

Xeni Xenu

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling to show period to date and comparing current period, with previous year specific period

I have a column already in my excel sheet with the corresponding period number, all incidents occurring in the following date bands are split by period e.g 1/4/2018 - 28/4/2018 = period 1, 29/4/2018 - 26/5/2018 = period 2 etc, this is the same for the previous years (2015/2016, 2016/2017, 2017/2018)

Is there a way to create a calculated field for 13 periods which will allow me to view data by period to date and allow me to compare periods from previous years?

Thank you in advance for all your help

Merci

Xenu

• 1. Re: Period to date with 13 periods
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Xeni,

Do you have some sample data to share in a packaged workbook?  Packaged workbooks: when, why, how

This is a great staring example as well - Current vs Previous Period to Date Comparison

Thank you

Patrick 

• 2. Re: Period to date with 13 periods
            Wesley Magee

Xeni,

These are just a few quick thoughts as it's hard to know without seeing the data. You want a time period comparison by running total, correct? You could start by placing [Period Number] on the rows shelf, YEAR(Date) on the columns shelf, and then whatever metric you are comparing on the Text Marks card? This would show the amount per period per year. You could then right click on your metric and select "Quick Table Calculation" and "Running Total". Lastly, you would right click on the metric again and select "Edit Table Calculation" and click the box for "Add Secondary calculation", then pick "Difference from" to get the year over year change.

-Wesley

If this post assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.