3 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2018 5:26 AM by Jim Dehner

Understanding a Histogram

Andrew Morgan

Hi Community,

I have a simple ask. I created a histogram using sample superstore showing quantity and sales.

I am just wondering what's this chart showing and how to interpret it?

Please give your valuable inputs.

• 1. Re: Understanding a Histogram
          Jim Dehner

Hi Andrew

interesting chart

You created this chart by plotting the individual records (i.e. turned off aggregate marks on the analytics tab)

so each bar is composed of all the individual  records in the data base that have the sales quantity equal to the value on the horizontal axis

and the height is the total value of those individual records if you hover over the bar the values of the individual records show up

so you would say for the 1191 records that had a sales quantity of 4 the totals sales were $323,671

if you replace sum sales with sum quantity you get this which give a count of the records

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Understanding a Histogram
            Andrew Morgan

Morning Jim,

Thanks!

I am not dis-aggregating the data points. I just converted quantity from measures to dimensions and plotted against sales values. So, if I understood you correctly, a person who purchased one 1 item has generated x sales, products that are purchased twice generated y sales, and so on.

Is that correct?

• 3. Re: Understanding a Histogram
              Jim Dehner

Hi

see the attached excel file - I pivoted the data - the tableau  histogram and the excel are not looking at "Customer" they are counting records - e..g if a person purchased 1 item in a category on day 1 and then on day 10 they purchased 1 item again - that is 2 records

see the highlighted row - and compare it to the Tableau detail above

\

JIm

1 of 1 people found this helpful