4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2018 9:11 AM by james.evans.10

Adding a Button to a Dashboard

james.evans.10

Hi Everyone,

So I have a dashboard that I'm developing and I'd like to add a button into the dashboard called "More Info" that will pop out a sheet in the workbook (that is not in the dashboard). In the attached sample workbook you will see, in Dashboard 1 you can pick an ID and it places an X on the range where the ID falls. I'd like to add a button or something like that where you can click and it will pop out the sheet labeled "Pop Out" so you can see the other results corresponding to that ID number.

I've looked into swapping sheets with a parameter but I can't seem to make it work how I'd like. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Adding a Button to a Dashboard
          Francesca Grisanti

Hi james,

I usually prefer to open a new tab on my browser with new info filtered, especially in this case that you need a lot of space to let people clearly see the bar graph.

Do you think it can be a solution?

Maybe you can click on a button and open this additional page.

Let me know if you need some help!

Francesca

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding a Button to a Dashboard
            Natalia Sojka

Hi James,

I am not quite sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but I have added a button which allows you to jump into your pop-out worksheet. I have changed the ID filter to apply to all using the same worksheets. The button leads you to your worksheet with the specific filter setting on the ID chosen on your dashboard.

I have created a worksheet for the button and then used a filter action on the dashboard to filter from your dashboard to that specific sheet when selecting the button.

You can also add the pop-out sheet into your tool tip of your visualization alternatively. Go to to your ranges viz and tool tip then insert sheet (pop-out).

Hope that helps!

Natalia

• 3. Re: Adding a Button to a Dashboard
              Jeremy Calloud

Alternatively, you can use the Viz in Tooltip feature. I have added a sheet that is filtered based on ID. If you hover over the More Info, you'll automatically display the "Pop Out" sheet.

You can resize the tooltip as big as you want.

• 4. Re: Adding a Button to a Dashboard
                james.evans.10

Thank you Jeremy Natalia and Francesca,

Jeremy's suggestion seems to work best for what I am looking for. I hadn't updated Tableau in a while and was unaware of the Viz in Tooltip feature. Adding a button to jump to another page is useful as well for the future so thank you all!