3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2018 10:57 AM by Martin Vauthier

Roadmap for OData support

Edward Zents

Currently you can connect to an OData data source but supported is quite limited. Are there any plans for improving the OData connector? Can I find this information somewhere? Possible improvements would be:

• Support the browsing of OData service documents
      • Support "live" connections (for at least the most basic OData functionality like $select, $expand, $top etc..). So defining data source filters on an OData source should push down the filters to the OData service.
      • Use metadata document to detect relationships between OData sources. After importing two OData sources I have to define the relationship manually even though this is defined in the metadata of the OData service.
      • Incremental refresh of OData sources.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Roadmap for OData support
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Edward,

I will raise this thread to the Product Management team of Tableau to see if we can provide some additional information on the roadmap for OData support.

If you find some ideas that capture the desired added functionality please upvote it. The development team does review the ideas for each release planning cycle.

+ Ideas

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: Roadmap for OData support
            Edward Zents

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for raising this thread to the team. Even if there is nothing planned it would be good to know. I'll start looking into the ideas as well.

Edward

• 3. Re: Roadmap for OData support
              Martin Vauthier

Thanks Edward/Patrick, this is exactly what we need to see happening sooner than later - Odata is the ultimate way to make data exchange over the web easy and some of Tableau's competitors handle this very well. As a product manager for a B2B software company I can tell the protocol is quite a revolution compared to traditional methods and it's really unexpected to realize Tableau doesn't capitalize on it. Companies are looking for BI tools that can connect easily to their data and Odata is by far the most user friendly manner i've seen out there.

TBC!