4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2018 2:41 PM by Ajeet .

Mapbox Satellite + Street view not clear on zoon

Ajeet .

Hi i am using mapbox as background map, and i have imported lat-long of locations. the initial view is this:

however, when i try to zoom in i get this distorted view: ( which i don't see in google satellite view)

Can this be fixed ? Please help ....Thanks a bunch..

Ajeet

• 1. Re: Mapbox Satellite + Street view not clear on zoon
          Don Wise

Hi Ajeet,

Please see the below screenshot (southeast shoreline of India).  I'd say this is a MapBox issue with their tiles and how/when they decided to join the tiles and to what level/degree of visibility is offered at each scale. In the below screenshot there is a distinct difference with the ocean level of detail.

In other words, the lower the scale in MapBox the less the detail because they're not offering that level of photographic detail/clarity as they are at a higher scale. 

Perhaps one of their other standard maps could be more useful such as the Outdoors map which shows mountain and hill scale?

Screen_Shot_2018-05-07_at_12_58_24_PM.png

• 2. Re: Mapbox Satellite + Street view not clear on zoon
            Ajeet .

Hi Don Wise

Thank you so much for your time.

I have reviewed all the maps including outdoors from mapbox but my employer would like to use the Satellite view as we see in Google Maps. Could you please recommend any wms url freely available for india keeping in mind the satellite view ?

Also can we achieve this view in using google maps ? I did give a try but failed /..Thanks

• 3. Re: Mapbox Satellite + Street view not clear on zoon
              Don Wise

Hi Ajeet,

You could try this KB article as to what currently works within Tableau for WMS services in order to use other services such as Bing or Open Street maps.

Creating a Custom Map Connection | Tableau Software

The problem however will likely still be the same. The orthographic photography captured is not likely to be at the level of detail and quality that you're seeking...

Therefore, I would suggest that you take your current lat/lon locations in your current map and then try getting to the lowest level scale possible with all of the various WMS map service providers that are freely available, prior to seeking a new service. It doesn't make sense to chase down a WMS Service if the quality isn't there to begin with.

The following website might also be helpful in choices for you to consider:

Free Maps from the Web Using Web Mapping Service - CodeProject

Thx, Don

PS - also try this fairly recent thread in Tableau for some ideas (not sure if they're free or not but there are some additional WMS links there):  Where can I find the best WMS servers with data layers?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mapbox Satellite + Street view not clear on zoon
                Ajeet .

Hi Don,

Thanks a lot for your time   . I am looking at your recommended resources ( ArcGis is my priority paid or free ). Thanks again