1 Reply Latest reply on May 7, 2018 12:17 AM by kumar bharat

Tableau workbook performance

Vikash Kumar

I have a task which is related to my tableau workbook performance. This published workbook consists of total 5 dashboards. There is one dashboard which is a pain in the neck since it is slow and takes around 5 minutes to finally load before a user can see the metrics.

Below are a few questions which i would like someone to help with.

I am more interested in understanding the following:

1.) I have read somewhere that if a custom SQL query contains a number of joins, then the tableau query engine will smartly perform only those joins that helps it to get the data required to load a particular dashboard sheet within the workbook. IS THAT CORRECT? Can someone please give an example?

2.) Recording a tableau performance: When i want to know the performance of a particular dashboard sheet within the workbook. What should be the starting point of starting to record the performance and when the performance recorder should be stopped.

3.) When i click a particular dashboard within the workbook, is it that the custom SQL is run again. Let's say i have dashboard A, dashboard B and dashboard C within the workbook. Now i clicked on dashboard A, so i believe the custom SQL runs to fetch the data from the database. When i click on dashboard B, does it run the custom SQL again to fetch the data from the database and it does every time i click a dashboard tab say dashboardC, dashboard D or dashboard A again etc.

4.) I have a custom SQL which fetches data from one table. It does not involve any join. Just select clause and from clause This dashboard within the workbook is performing temporal analysis which is **** slow. By slow i mean it takes more than 4 minutes to finally load it. Will try to make a dummy dashboard and share. It used gantt chart to present the data. Is gantt chart in general slow than other charts?

Thanks