5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2018 8:24 AM by Eric Viglotti

Creating extracts for all data sources, refreshing all data sources

Eric Viglotti

Hello,

I have a workbook that has 7 data sources where each pulls from an Excel file. I'm a bit new to Tableau so I'm trying to learn of the best workflow.

1. For development of the dashboards, is it best to keep the data sources as a live connection to each data source so that as I update data in the various excel files, it is easier to update than an extract? It appears that in order to update data from a live connection, you have to click the refresh icon which is really no more or less work than updating an extract. So for Excel files with say, 100K rows or less and thus incremental extracts aren't really necessary, what's the benefit of keeping live connections vs extracts or is there any benefit?

2. If I do choose to go the extract route and I have a workbook A that is pointing to all of these 7 extracts and I make a copy of workbook A naming it workbook B and now in workbook B I change the data sources to point to new, different Excel reports, and save the extracts, will that overwrite the original extracts thus now impacting what would be seen in workbook A. I'm worried that when a workbook is duplicated in Windows, the new workbook would have the same pointers to the same extracts used by workbook A and this could get really messy very quickly. Am I missing something in a "best practice" workflow by chance?

3. Whether live or extract, is there any command to "update all data sources", or do I have to go through each data source one by one?

In terms of an end result, we know we want to go the extract route before exporting a packaged workbook because the final TWBX is much much faster to the end user that way, we're just trying to understand the best workflow up to that point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!