1 of 1 people found this helpful
Where is your Excel file located?
If the file is on your file server, please make sure,
- the path is correct, see Unable to Update the UNC Path for a Published Excel Data Connection | Tableau Software
- your Tableau Server has the access right to this path
The excel is on my local server.
I checked the link you said but I can't see Create Local Copy anywhere. But when I created the data source, I entered the UNC path to the file.
Any other ideas?
I would challenge why you are pointing a Tableau Server workbook to a local data source. It would be best if you moved the file to the Tableau Server machine. Then use a refresh on that onel
More than likely, the Tableau Server does not have full access rights to the location where the Excel file is stored.
1) Place the excel file in shared path
2) The run as user should have access to that folder
a) Right Click on the Folder where excel located
b) Select Properties
c) click on @security
d) Click on Edit
e) Provide the runas username
f) check names
g) Click ok
h) Select the "runas" user name in group or username section and provide the full control in “permissions for authenticated users”
i) click Apply
j) Click ok
3) Now connect to your excel , create your report and publish the workbook to server while publishing “Uncheck include external files”
4) Automatically your extracts will get succeed
"Run as User" is the User ID where tableau admin team used to install Tableau Server they will help you with this
Let me know if any issues