2 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2018 8:46 AM by Sarah Battersby

Slow maps

Ed Gorwell

Hi folks,

I'm very new to Tableau. I've developed this map to embed in a webpage, but it is loading much too slowly to be used. When you try to zoom or move the view, it freezes. It seems to work quickly in Tableau desktop, but not online.

https://public.tableau.com/views/SimplifiedDSPLGA/Sheet2?:embed=y&:display_count=yes

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can hasten the render time?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Ed.

• 1. Re: Slow maps
          Toby Erkson

Ed, I moved your question to the Forum as the original location you posted is meant for questions directly related to the forums itself, not Tableau products.  Don't worry, it is confusing at first so no harm

I checked a map on my company's Tableau Server and it rendered quickly so I don't think this is an issue with the Tableau mapping service.  I'm not a Desktop person so I won't be able to help here but to help others, are you using a shape file or custom polygons?  The delay may be due to the complex underpinnings of your specific worksheet.

• 2. Re: Slow maps
            Sarah Battersby

This also loads up and responds quickly to me using the Tableau Public link (I tried some selections, panning/zooming, etc.).  I also downloaded the workbook and don't see any issues to point out why it would be slower when you load it.  Since you're using the Tableau custom geocoding there shouldn't be any major complexity in the data slowing things down. 

-Sarah

Tableau Research