1 Reply Latest reply on May 1, 2018 10:05 PM by kumar bharat

Multiple Datasource Problems

Diane Royer

Hello,

I am trying to create a worksheet in Tableau that utilizes data sources from various servers and one source from salesforce.  The salesforce data source is my primary data source, as it contains the majority of the information we need.  Each source contains a record ID number that is consistent among all the sources.  When I add the data source from a server, I added a relationship between both sources based on the ID number.  As soon as I did that, the worksheet slowed down extremely, it would take 10 - 15 minutes to show results (and then, it told me that Tableau's memory was low).  When I tried to add the third data source from a second server and added the relationship based on the ID number, it won't return any data at all.  As a matter of fact, the program keeps closing.

To add the relationship, I go to the Data menu and select Edit Relationships.  Then I select Custom and add the relationship between the ID numbers (and remove any relationships that Tableau automatically set up).  I even tried added two relationships between each source (the first one on the ID number and another on the Year), in hopes that a compound relationship would help.  It didn't.

Could you tell me what I am doing wrong?  My department has a massive amount of data that we need to collate for a third party by the end of the week.

I am new to Tableau and am not sure how to troubleshoot this problem.  Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Multiple Datasource Problems
          kumar bharat

Hi Diane,

It appears that you have huge volumes of data coming in from different sources and please note tableau is a dashboard tool to show summarized data.I would suggest three ways initially to approach your problem until  you figure out the actual problem.

1) to use extracts in tableau initially instead of fetching complete data from all sources.

2) please add few DB filters at tableau after you add the join condition between tables for each source and fetch limited records say 100 records.

Filter Data from Your Data Source

3) pull in the needed fields but  not all the fields into tableau

hope it helps.

BR,

bharat