5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2018 1:04 AM by Ciaran Bource

Create extract based on published extract

Cyrille Thybert

Hi All,

I have some performances issue on dashboards due to large published datasource and I would like to optimise those dashboard by adding an embedded data source in the workbook.

But all my data source are refreshed from Oracle and if I multiply the number of datasource (optimised for each workbook) it will be ressource consuming for my Oracle Database.

I was just wondering if it was possible to do so :

Create a big Published extract datasource based on oracle. Refreshed once a day (mine take 1h)

- This extract will be used for add-hoc analysis by users

But for complex dashboard, this big source is sometime too big for complexe calculations.

- So create a reduced embedded extract based on this Big extract, without using Oracle for refresh but this extract.

All those source would be on the tableau server.

In that way :

Big_Extract.png

• 1. Re: Create extract based on published extract
          Ciaran Bource

Hi Cyrille,

I see the point of what you'd like to do, but in truth I do not believe it would be efficient.

You'd basically want to have Tableau Extracts working as mini databases, which is not really the purpose of Tableau.

The best way to split your data will always to do it at your database level. If you want to try preparing your data, you can also use our new tool Tableau Prep

Tableau Prep: A new data preparation solution

Ciaran

• 2. Re: Create extract based on published extract
            Kim McAvoy

I would also love to have this functionality.  We have a rather complex Oracle extract that joins multiple tables together resulting in a large detailed dataset that we require for a lot of our detailed analysis (the task I believe Tableau was designed for).

I also need to use the same data for more complex summary analysis (lots of LOD calculations) and don't wish to repeat the complex joins and other requirements to get the data from Oracle.  Not to mention redefining all my colours, sort orders, aliases and other particulars of the data extract.  I just want to be able to summarise the detail data to a new datasource (which I realise won't stay current with the original, but since it's very specific one-off analysis, that doesn't matter).  I need a subset of the original data, aggregated to a level that would significantly reduce the number of records I am dealing with.

It would be great if I could create an extract from the published data source and then use that for its own purposes.  I tried to do this, and although it appeared that this is what Tableau was doing, it never actually created a separate local extract file, as far as I can tell.

Any help with achieving this would be much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Create extract based on published extract
              Ciaran Bource

Hi Kim,

Not completely sure I am understanding correctly as I seem to be achieving some of what you seem to need :

I created an extract from Oracle and published it to Tableau Server.

I then connected to this extract from Tableau Desktop, applied a filter and then created an extract from it.

I then republished it with another name and that seems to be working fine. See attached screenshot.

Ciaran

• 4. Re: Create extract based on published extract
                Kim McAvoy

Ciaran, that's exactly what I tried to do, but haven't managed to get it to work.  I will give it another go.  We are on 10.5...  What version did you use?

Thanks for your time on this...

• 5. Re: Create extract based on published extract
                  Ciaran Bource

Hey Kim !

No problem at all !

I just tried this on 2018.1, once you create the second extract, try navigating to a new sheet and it should ask you to create a new local extract file.

Ciaran