6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2018 9:32 AM by Don Wise

Count

Bruna Rodrigues

Hello, I have a question. In the same sale I can have the participation of two sellers. This sale will be accounted for both. The field comes from Excel, and contains the names of the two together. But the count has to be individual.

• 1. Re: Count
          NAVYA KARNATI
          • 2. Re: Count
            NAVYA KARNATI

step1.pngstep2.pngstep3.pngstep4.pngstep5.png

• 3. Re: Count
              Don Wise

Hello Navya,

Please see the newly attached v.10.3 workbook and the 2nd worksheet. 

It is a COUNT of Vendors per Vendor Split per Table, with subtotals turned on.

Because of the way Calculation 1 is done, it will not Total.  So I added a new calc to subtotal and grand total your numbers.

Hopefully it is helpful? If so, please mark as either Helpful or Correct.

Thanks, Don

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Count
                Bruna Rodrigues

Thanks!!!

• 5. Re: Count
                  Bruna Rodrigues

Thanks!!!

• 6. Re: Count
                    Don Wise

Hi Bruna,

I just realized that Tableau Data Prep (Free Trial is now available) will help you with correcting your data structure.  I've outlined the steps below in the following screenshots and attached the Tableau Data Prep (.flow) file as well as a new Tableau workbook which uses the extract (.tde) file from Data Prep (and newly reshaped data format) so that the tables in Tableau natively subtotal and grand total.  Data Prep might be something for you to look at going forward due to the current structure/layout of your data. Thx, Don

This is what you'd see when dragging/dropping Sheet 1 to the view in Tableau Data Prep:

Sheet1 Data in Data Prep.png

Same for Sheet 11 dragged to the view:

Sheet11 in Data Prep.png

This is the view when the two sheets are UNIONed:

Union of Sheet1 and Sheet11.png

This is a STEP added after the UNION which then involved a bit of cleanup as you can see by all the steps taken in the left window pane (easy to to do though):

Data Cleanup Steps.png

Most importantly the PIVOT of the data to get it in the shape shown in the lower pane of the view, prior to export as either .csv, .tde or .hyper format:

Pivot of Data.png

Lastly, the output of the file as an extract for use in Tableau:

Output as TDE Extract for use in Tableau.png

Then Tableau was used to point to the new data extract:

From Data Prep to Tableau as TDE.png

Then a new worksheet using the new data structure, which allows for native aggregation, subtotals and totals:

Tableau Worksheet example w-native subtotals and totals.png

Lastly, I've attached the new Extract (.tde), the Tableau Data Prep Flow (.tfl) and a 10.3 version of the Tableau Workbook itself.

Hope it helps!  And again, something to strongly consider to make your workflow easier... Don