4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2018 11:29 PM by Alex C

Sort columns

Alex C

Hello.

Tell me please, how can i sort one dimension field by another field without aggregation func?

For example, i have string field "month": jan, feb,  march, april, etc... By default this field sorted alphabetically, but i want so that it is sorted in correct order jan, march, april, etc... So i have the numeric field "month n": 1,2,3, etc..., in accordance with month's name. Finally, i have two fields, looks like: jan - 1, feb -2, etc.
      Now i want to do so that sorting by field "month" is done like by field "month n". And if i change sort (ascending, descending), its always done like by field "month n". PowerBi got such functional, for example.
      Thanks

• 1. Re: Sort columns
          kumar.c

Hi Alex,

Did you try the option to sort as per below screenshot:

• 2. Re: Sort columns
            Ritesh Bisht

Hello Alex,

Here is the sample  data-source

(My DS is not in order but I could see that sort in-order @ Tableau , but in any case you can arrange if it is not in order with the manual option )

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 8.21.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 8.17.43 PM.png

STEP 2 : Make use of field Index() as Month-N

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 8.16.04 PM.png

Now I can sort my actual Month with the help of INDEX field ,  I am sorting the same @ desc order (SEE BELOW)

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 8.19.04 PM.png

Please set the answer as CORRECT & HELPFUL if it really helped you to sort your query so that it can help others as well.

Thanks,

Ritesh

WWW.TABLEAUINFO.COM

• 3. Re: Sort columns
              Alex C

Thank you.

This one-time option, and, if i will sort by this field next, it will sorted alphabetically again.

• 4. Re: Sort columns
                Alex C

Thank you.

I would like to do task without unnecessary fields in my visualisation, but guess this is the only option.