6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2018 1:46 AM by charu garg

Multi node Server Upgrade to 2018.1

Sanket Kelkar

Hi All,

We are planning to upgrade our 3 node cluster (1 primary and 2 workers) to 2018.1 from 10.1. Below are some questions that we have -

1. We have SSL enabled on the primary server and it points to local .cer and .key files. When we upgrade to 2018.1, will this setting be replicated as is or do I need to perform any manual activity?

2. We are also updating Oracle, MySQL, and some database drivers with this upgrade on the primary server. Do I also need to update database drivers on my worker machines?

3. During the upgrade and if prompted, I just need to run tableau worker program 2018.1 on my workers. Do I need to perform any other manual activities on workers?

Thanks,

Sanket K.

• 1. Re: Multi node Server Upgrade to 2018.1
          Azeemuddin Irfan Mohammed

We recently moved from 10.3.3 to 10.5.2.

We have a similar architecture like yours: 1 Primary and 2 worker nodes.

1. When we start the upgrade process , Tableau gives you an option to create a backup during the upgrade(takes a very long time) so we did a backup prior to starting the upgrade process.

All the setting including SSL SAML, AD, SMTP settings are carried forward to the new version. One has to be really careful when giving the path file when doing an upgrade if the original installation is not in the default location.

2. We installed the latest Oracle drivers after the install. Though in our test environment the older Oracle drivers were working fine with 10.5. The drivers installation also has to be done on the worker nodes and not just the primary.

3. If prompted you will need to install the Worker installation files in the Worker nodes and resume with the installation in Primary. We had to manually install in the workers.

Overall the upgrade process is fairly straightforward but requires a lot of patience since a lot of upgrade tabs just stay at the same screen for a very long time and all you can do is keep moving the mouse, hoping it didn't freeze and keep your fingers crossed

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multi node Server Upgrade to 2018.1
            Sanket Kelkar

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I will also post my observations about the time and performance as soon as we upgrade.

Cheers!

• 3. Re: Multi node Server Upgrade to 2018.1
              Sanket Kelkar

I understand that the question is already marked as answered, but sharing my observations on the upgrade for the community -

We upgraded from 10.1 to 2018.1 last week -

1. Stopped the primary server and took full manual backup as we did not want users to make any changes while the upgrade was in progress. Our server is of 100 GB size, and the backup took 52 mins to complete and generated a .tsbak file with 37 GB size. The server has 64 GB RAM with 8 processors.

2. Started the upgrade by running 2018.1 server installable file. It automatically detected that we already have 10.1 and uninstalled it.

3. VERY IMP - we have a non-default server location, and hence needed to be very careful while selecting the path. If the path goes wrong, then it installs a completely new version of 2018.1 and does not copy any configuration.

Path in our case -

Original Path – D:\Programs\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.1\bin

Browse to - D:\Programs\Tableau (please note that it automatically appends Tableau server folder with the browsed path and creates a new folder with a name 2018.1 )

New path - D:\Programs\Tableau\Tableau Server\2018.1\bin

4. While the upgrade was running, it asked to manually upgrade workers. At that moment, we signed-in to each worker and ran 2018.1 server worker program. It also automatically detected the previous version and upgraded to 2018.1

5. The entire upgrade took 1 and a half hour and it successfully copied each and every configuration including - all workbooks, sites, extracts, schedules, subscriptions, SSL configuration, windows AD config, license information etc from 10.1 to 2018.1

Performance stats -

A full refresh pointing to Oracle database -

On 10.1

Time to refresh- 49 minutes

Size of the .tde file- 1.11 GB

Data - 2 million rows and 30 columns

On 2018.1

Time to refresh- 22 minutes

Size of the .hyper file - 800 MB

Data - 2 million rows and 30 columns

Overall, we are getting more than 50% performance improvement in the extract refresh and 20-30% performance improvement in dashboard interactivity.

Please let me know if I have missed any point and I would be happy to help!

Thanks,

Sanket K.

• 4. Re: Multi node Server Upgrade to 2018.1
                Minnu Meena

Hi Sanket,

Do you have any document regarding Server up-gradation to 2018.1.

We are about to upgrade to 2018.1, so i need some step by step process information.

Can you please help me on this?

Thanks,

Minnu.

• 5. Re: Multi node Server Upgrade to 2018.1
                  Sanket Kelkar

Hi Minnu,

As of now, I don't have any documentation but can mention steps that you need to take while upgrading. Do you have a single node server or multi node server ?

Thanks,

Sanket.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Multi node Server Upgrade to 2018.1
                    charu garg

Hi Sanket ,

We are also planning to upgrade to 2018.1 from 10.2 , Can you please post all steps and avoidable pitfalls for the upgrade process.

Thanks so much !!

Charu