5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2018 11:37 AM by Jason Phillips

Error connecting to data source

Geneth McAlister

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to 2018.1. I am now unable to connect to a data source that I was previously able to open. I am getting the  following error:

An error occurred while communicating with the data source.

No such function CONTAINS that takes arguments of type (str, none).

I am still able to open the dashboard in 10.5 so I assume it has something to do with the upgrade. What must I do to overcome this error?

• 1. Re: Error connecting to data source
          Okechukwu Ossai

Do you have any data source filter with formula using CONTAINS() function?

If yes, then check that the syntax is consistent with 2018.1

• 2. Re: Error connecting to data source
            Geneth McAlister

Hi Okechukwu,

This was indeed the problem. I solved it by using a formula in the data source filter instead of a wild card.

I am now getting another error:

An error occurred while communicating with the data source.

No such function == that takes arguments of type (str, none).

It has something to do with this calculation:

Can you no longer use = in 2018.1? If not, what can I do in the calculation above?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Error connecting to data source
              Okechukwu Ossai

Hi Geneth,

Errors while communicating with the data source are known issues in Tableau. Sometimes related to calculated fields or data source filters.

If it is possible, try renaming [Max Advice] to  [MaxAdvice] to see if it makes any difference. Otherwise, I suggest you raise a ticket with Tableau support.

Ossai

• 4. Re: Error connecting to data source
                Simon Gentile

We are having the same sort of issue since updating to 2018.1. we have Date Parameters and a formula on shelf filters like below:

IF [DATE] >= [DATE PARAMETER] THEN "Show" ELSE "Hide" END

the error says: No such function == that takes arguments of type (str, none).

Is this functionality no longer supported either? Or is there another way around it?

• 5. Re: Error connecting to data source
                  Jason Phillips

Our issue, similar symptoms, was caused because of a version mismatch between desktop and server.  We had a workbook pointed to a server datasource that when opened in 10.3 was fine, no errors (server was also 10.3).  However when we opened the same workbook in tableau desktop 2018.1 we got the exact error you're seeing.  The fix was easy, either use the matching desktop version, or if you're migrating to a newer version, migrate the datasource and workbook to the newer server.  So long as the versions match you should be good.