1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 12:34 PM by shrikant.patil.2

Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...

Toby Erkson

Migrate from Core-Based to User-Based Licensing

Does this mean that permissions remain the same until one of the new versions of the mentioned licenses is added to the Server?  But if that is true then wouldn't that mean there's a third licensing option, which would be user-based and core-based licensing, thus no longer being mutually exclusive?  I'm so confused and I shouldn't be

The documentation is lacking good, simple information about the permissions conversion for people upgrading a current install to this brand new one

Does anyone have solid information about permissioning restructuring?

• 1. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
          Donna Coles

I too am now confused :-(

Licensing Overview states

but I can't quite get my head round what this means....  We're core licensed.  I'm assuming we can remain core licensed, which means everyone has access already, and any new users will get access, so under what circumstances would we be adding one of these new licences to the server... unless if we upgrade we have to migrate from core to user based....

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
            Toby Erkson

Yeah Donna, I'm in the same position as you.  The way I'm reading this new structure is that Tableau is changing direction to eventually stop core-based licensing, forcing user-based licensing to become the norm.  It makes financial sense at their end but not from our enterprise end.  We rely on Guest Access but with user-based licensing that can't happen:  That would be a major feature loss!

• 3. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
              Sanjay Ellanki

I was actually really excited about the feature of online data connections. But i am so confused on this licensing is supposed to work. If we have a core license does this mean, we still have to purchase a creators license to actually use this new feature. So if we bought one new Creator license does that mean we can add more because we use core license? One of the biggest reasons we picked Tableau is because of it's core licensing. If they are taking that way that's a major downfall in our organization.

Thanks,

Sanjay

• 4. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                Carisa Chang

Hi Toby and Donna!

Hopefully I can clear this up a bit

You do not need a new license to upgrade to Tableau Server 2018.1. If you upgrade to Tableau Server 2018.1 and do not add a new subscription license (Creator/Explorer/Viewer) both you and your users will not see any changes to the Tableau Server UI, or content permissions. The "Viewer" site role will be renamed to "ReadOnly." Your users will not lose any functionality as a result of upgrading.

If you do add a new subscription license on top of your current Core license, you'll see the following:

1. New UI elements in the User and License management pages for Admins

2. New Site Roles will become available, and current users will be mapped to the equivalent site roles. Content permissions will not be changed.

This page shows how the previous site roles map to new site roles, and what capabilities each role has: Set Users’ Site Roles

3. If you have Creator licenses, users assigned to Creator site roles will see the new Creator features, like creating a new datasource on the the web and directly uploading flat files.

4. You'll get the benefits and restrictions of both licenses that are active on your Tableau Server.

For instance, if you have a 16 Core license, with Guest access, and you add 100 Creator license, you will have:

A limit of 16 cores of hardware

Guest access

Unlimited Explorers (from the unlimited Interactors that come with a Core license)

100 Creators

If you later deactivate that Core license, you'll have:

Unlimited hardware

No Guest access

No Explorers

100 Creators

There are some features only available to a user with a Creator site role - accessing those features is why you would choose to add a Creator license on top of a Core license.

There should be no need for permissions restructuring, content permissions are not affected by the upgrade.

Let me know if you have any questions!

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                  Donna Coles

Hi Carisa

Thanks for the info.  Still trying to absorb it all.

Our current set up is a core server licence, which allows everyone in our company to have access (circa 2000 users).  Users added/removed via auto sync with the AD.  They get created with publisher role by default, as everyone has the option to use the web authoring feature if they want to (ie everyone is essentially an "Explorer").

We then have 50 Desktop licences (aka "Creator").  As it currently stands there is nothing about the users on Server that identifies them as having a Desktop licence.

Each year we review the number of Desktop licences we have, and make a decision whether we want to reduce, stick with what we have or buy more.  So if we upgrade the server to v2018.1 then ....

1) what happens to the existing Desktop licences we want to renew?  Do these now become 'creator' licences and we have to change the user roles on the server, and deal with the annual subscription cost associated ($42,000 pa)

2) what happens if we need to buy further Desktop licences?  Assume this is when the possibility of a new Creator licence will apply...?

Based on my maths, with a user base our size, I can't see any desire to ever deactivate our core license model to switch to user based licensing as the equivalent annual costs will be extortionate....

Is core licensing being phased out?

Donna

• 6. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                    Carisa Chang

Hi Donna,

You'll want to talk to your Account Manager about the specifics of what type of license you'll want to buy moving forward, and what that cost would be. Generally speaking, you can continue to renew maintenance on current Desktop licenses, and those users would need separate licenses on Server just like they have today. 

Your account manager can help tailor what the right licensing mix would be for your user base, the new subscription licenses allow for a lot more flexibility in your licenses to adapt them to your specific needs.

• 7. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                      Toby Erkson

I stumbled across this:  How to decide on the right mix of users | Tableau Software

More of a FYI, a very high-level of the three types to kind of help decide what type of license to get users, however, it does not answer our questions.

• 8. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                        Donna Coles

Hi Carisa

Thanks for the reply... I figured that would be your response.  I may be wrong, but the feeling I'm getting is core licensing is going to be phased out, so some important decisions will need to be made.  I'll discuss further wth my account mgr.

Regards

Donna

• 9. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                          Toby Erkson

Okay, I spoke with my sales rep and got a better understanding.  In a nutshell, I'm no longer frazzled about upgrading

First, I was correct about Tableau moving to a subscription-based paradigm and the 2018 release is the first step that we are seeing as admins towards this Tableau goal. So in other words, don't expect this to go away and do expect it to move away from the 10.x epoch.  However, core-based licensing will remain...at least for the foreseeable future.

Second, this will allow for a mixed-licensing environment for us core-based environments if we wish to do so.  I don't think this is a bad thing so far and I hope it will be helpful when transitioning to more subscription-based licensing if a company of small size decides to transition.

10.x to 2018.x upgrade

Here's a really high level view of what changes from 10.x to 2018.x

Now, since core-based environments are impacted the most by this upgrade we are the ones who have a longer and deeper mire to wade through.  Here's how the Site role's get converted:

Some notes I jotted down about the new Site roles:

Viewer -

can interact and receive subscriptions (i.e. someone else subscribes them)

cannot web edit

cannot create new data alerts but can connect to existing ones

Explorer -

like 10.x Interactor thus cannot publish

note: Explorer (can publish) is not "normal", it's so current Publishers won't be downgraded in capability

Creator -

Desktop author/developer

Prep user

create new data connections & sources in Web Edit and edit them!

basically the Publisher role as we know it in 10.x but with additional super-powers

About these new licenses

Instead of a TD... license designation (TD = Tableau Desktop, TS = Tableau Server) it will be a TC... one (TC = Tableau Creator).  Thus the one license key can be used in Tableau Server, Tableau Desktop, and Tableau Prep.  So that's simpler (less keys to deal with) and thus completes the "package" for a power-user.

These new subscription-based licenses are transferable so if a core-based environment decides to purchase some Creator licenses and add them to the Tableau Server they can be transferred to a new owner, like how it's done with current [10.x] Desktop licenses.  This is a relief for those who have high turnover (heavy usage of contractors, interns, etc.).

Other notes

1. “When upgraded to 2018.1, Tableau Server will display the same licensing information and site roles that it did previously until a new Creator, Explorer or Viewer license is added to the server…” <link>
                            1. So this only applies to user-based licensing, correct?  Well, applies to both licensings.
                          2. My understanding is that if nothing changes then the licensing metric (Core or User) remains unchanged. Yes
                          3. It appears that the licensing metric has been made to allow mixed-licensing metrics i.e. core- and user-based together.
                            1. What happens to Guest AccessIt stays.
                            2. There are some features only available to a user with a Creator site role - accessing those features is why you would choose to add a Creator license on top of a Core license. <link>
                              1. Such as…? The Creator ability to create/swap data connections & sources via Web Edit.  My note:  Introducing additional features that drive [force?] authors to purchase subscription-based Creator license since features are not available otherwise.  This also places additional hardship on the server, requiring additional hardware...

And, uhm, that's all I got but it's enough to calm my nerves   Again, if you have further questions I recommend contacting your Tableau sales rep. as it provides feedback to Tableau on how their decisions affect their customers!

6 of 6 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                            Toby Erkson

The following site roles for core-based licensing in 2018.1 don't change.  They look like this:

However, once a Creator key is applied to that Server the options look like this:

Screen shots and confirmation by my Tableau sales rep

• 11. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                              Gerardo Varela

Hi Toby,

Hmz... Once you add one of the new roles you can't add the old roles?  So if I add a creator, publishers are now creators, so any new publisher will fall under the subscription  model? 

I did talk to my account rep but I didn't for see this question. It's all to hazy for me to know exactly what to ask!  It's almost if their waiting for us to agree to the new terms and conditions, subscription model, because we pressed the wrong button. My spidey sense tells me this is a bait and switch.

Regards,

Gerardo

• 12. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                                Egor Larin

Toby,

which key have you added and how? I tried with Tableau Desktop key to add and I have that error. I haven't tried the Tableau Prep key.

Am I missing documentation from Tableau is how to on-board Creator? As far as I understand, every user with Tableau Desktop Professional license can be add to TS as Creator, so actually you can increase a capacity.

A0151E6F.PNG

PS

In official Tableau Docs there is a still Tableau Perpetual licensing mode for TDl, even it is not listed in Price List

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.html#license_subscriptions_enterprise.html

And for TS Licensing Overview

• 13. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                                  Toby Erkson

Egor Larin wrote:

PS

In official Tableau Docs there is a still Tableau Perpetual licensing mode for TDl, even it is not listed in Price List

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.html#license_subscriptions_enterprise.html

And for TS Licensing Overview

Correct, there are "perpetual" licenses for Desktop and Server (licensing model in my first image).

Egor Larin wrote:

which key have you added and how? I tried with Tableau Desktop key to add and I have that error. I haven't tried the Tableau Prep key.

Am I missing documentation from Tableau is how to on-board Creator? As far as I understand, every user with Tableau Desktop Professional license can be add to TS as Creator, so actually you can increase a capacity.

I have not upgraded.  However, it is not correct that current Desktop Pro licenses can be 'upgraded' to Creator because Creator is an entirely different license.  It's my understanding that a Creator license is subscription-based only

• 14. Re: Just when I was sorta-kinda understanding the new permissions of 2018.1 I read this...
                                    Toby Erkson

Gerardo Varela wrote:

Hmz... Once you add one of the new roles you can't add the old roles? So if I add a creator, publishers are now creators, so any new publisher will fall under the subscription model? ...

Gerardo, I believe that is correct.  However, Explorer (can publish) is equivalent to the 10.x Publisher site role.

Don't worry, you can't accidentally make the change.  You would need to explicitly add one of the new licenses.

Yes, it's hard to ask questions when you don't know what you don't know...I know!    Some of my questions didn't come to me until there was the conversation of costs, license transferring, etc.  I'm sure there will be more which is why I encourage people to ask their rep. since they will know far more than little old me   When you* learn something new come here and tell us!

*The collective-you i.e. y'all, ustedes, vous tous, ihr alle, 你们, あなたのすべて, etc.

1 2 Previous Next