4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2018 6:15 AM by daniele menzaghi

Webapp link

daniele menzaghi

Hi i need to develop this scenario:

create a dashboard tableau that isa link to en external webapp.

the difficulty is to uderstand how to retrieve the user info that logged into tableau and to pass this info to the webapp that needs to have the userid to shows somes data specific for that autenthicated user.

Today we are using the internal tableau authentication.

any idea about that?

thks a lot

• 1. Re: Webapp link
          Santiago Sanchez

Hi Daniele,

If you are using Tableau Server, that is if the dashboard is published to Tableau Server, you can use User Functions that include USERNAME and FULLNAME to represent the person logged into Tableau Server. This is a function you can add to a calculated field, which you can then use in any view and URL actions.

Hope that helps!

Santiago

• 2. Re: Webapp link
            daniele menzaghi

Great Santiago!

thks a lot for your answer.

So, if i undertand well: i create my empty dashboard, i create my calculated field to retrieve user info that i use in my url action.

it sounds good?

thanks

• 3. Re: Webapp link
              Santiago Sanchez

Almost! You'll create the calculated field on an empty sheet (on the dimensions shelf), then you'll have to add the calculated field to the sheet itself (make part of the view). You can later add the sheet to your dashboard, but this is optional.

Whether it's a sheet or a dashboard, you can then use the calculated field on a URL Action.

• 4. Re: Webapp link
                daniele menzaghi

Thks a lot Santiago.

So, today in my url i use: "user <my_url>/user=<name>", where <name> is a calculated field that contains the FULLNAME.

Last question is: exists a way to hide the value for the user? For security reason i would like to avoid to have the name in clear in the url: if i know some user_name i can directly access with theyr login??