2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2018 3:51 AM by Nils Rinaldi

Problem with date in a SAP BW datasource

Nils Rinaldi

Dear community,

I am connecting Tableau Desktop to a SAP BW BEx Query. My BEx query has a date field, and two measures.

First of all, when I connect to the query, Tableau Desktop does not allow me to preview the data (preview button is greyed). Is that normal?

Second, since I cannot preview the data, I cannot either redefine the type of the field. Tableau automatically detects it as a hierarchy (see symbol highlighted in screenshot below). And I cannot force it to be detected as a date field.

Do you have any suggestions about how to work around this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards,

Nils Rinaldi

tableau_SAP_BW_dates.png

• 1. Re: Problem with date in a SAP BW datasource
          Nils Rinaldi

An addition to my post from yesterday:

I have tried to create calculated fields (with date transformations) from the variable, but in the calculated field editor, my date variable (which has been converted to a hierarchy by Tableau) is not available.

When I right-click on the dimension on the shelf, and click "edit in shelf", appears the variable name [AUTHDATE].[AUTHDATE].[LEVEL01].

pb1.png

If i use the variable [AUTHDATE] in the formula editor, it does not work. I get the error:

"Reference to non-column field [AUTHDATE]. Only columns may be referenced in calculations.

pb2.png

If I use the variable [AUTHDATE].[AUTHDATE].[LEVEL01], it doesn't work either. I get the error:

"Operation on field [AUTHDATE].[AUTHDATE].[LEVEL01] is not permitted."

pb3.png

In SAP-BW, the variable is of type DATS, lenght 8, format YYYYMMDD, seems quite standard.

I have no way to transform the variable into a string or a date. I am completely blocked by now. Anyone has a solution?

• 2. Re: Problem with date in a SAP BW datasource
            Nils Rinaldi

I solved my problem by creating an extract. With the extract, Tableau was able to interpret my date field as a date.

Without extract (i.e. with live connection), I could not solve the problem.