1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 20, 2018 4:55 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

Table calculation difference from in tooltip visualization

Eric Viglotti

Hello,

I have been following how to do a difference from a prior period via this url which shows this is incredibly easy and intuitive: Table Calculation Type: Difference From

However, I'm trying to leverage this within a tooltip visualization and I'm having trouble. Looking at the attached on the superstore sample data, the "Absolute - Worksheet" tab tells us that all categories combined improved from 2016 to 2017. Specifically, technology improved a lot. I want to easily hover over that and see what segment contributed to this growth. The way I have it configured here, I have a tooltip visualization that tells me that $75K came from Home Office in 2017 and if I flip back and forth between hovering over 2016 to 2017, I can eventually see that Home Office had the biggest growth in technology. I just think there has to be a better way...

So I created the "Difference - Tooltip" visualization which clearly tells me that Home Office had the biggest difference from 2016 to 2017 which is great. Now I want to link the two together which I did successfully in the "Difference - Worksheet" tab. Everything looks configured correctly, except that on hover, the visualization is blank, which I suspect is because when you hover over Technology in 2017 on this worksheet, it filters the visualization in the tooltip to 2017 and once it does this, there is no way it can "see" 2016 to calculate a difference so we're stuck.

Any ideas?

One post seemed somewhat applicable, though different, maybe this would do something like this somehow? Calculate difference from previous period (and then remove previous period from view) 

Seems like this would be really powerful as it would allow you to see trends on a visualization and then the hover would give you more of the root cause for the difference you are seeing right there between periods.

Thanks!