9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2018 3:15 AM by Jim Dehner

Count of Units to Bar Graph

Lashaw Salta

Hi guys,

I would like to create a bar graph with the total number of loans for each tab:

So each bar would reflect:

Not Committed: 32

Not Shipped: 41

Not Imaged: 17

How would I go about creating this? I tried a calculated field including the filters but it's pulling the incorrect number

Thanks,

Lashaw Salta

• 1. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
          Jim Dehner

Hi

your formula had an error - see below

it now returns 32

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
            Lashaw Salta

Hey Jim,

Thank you for the response.

So I actually wanted to create a bar graph on 'Sheet 4' of my workbook to have the bars show those numbers. I don't actually want to show that number in the 'not imaged' tab.

That calculated field is just an example calc of what i'm trying to do to get that number to populate in 'Sheet 4', it actually pulls 41,179 instead.

Any idea on how I would do this?

Thanks,

Lashaw Salta

• 3. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
              Jim Dehner

this is very straight forward

and here is sheet 4 with a horizontal bar

Tableau has some wonderful training videos that take you through in short 3-5 min segments from getting started to advanced calcualtions

see the link          Tableau Training: View Training Courses

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 4. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
                Lashaw Salta

Jim,

I apologize if I'm not being clear here, but that again is not what I'm looking for.

I want ALL 3 tabs shown on one bar graph. Similar to the basic one you made but in my mind there would be two other bars with

Not Committed: 32

Not Shipped: 41

Not Imaged: 17

You currently have one bar with not imaged at 32

Thanks,

Lashaw Salta

• 5. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
                  Jim Dehner

sorry I misunderstood the issue  - I now understand that you  want the 3 filters to take on different T/F  values on the same sheet

that is you want the shipped to apply to one bar and 'Not shipped' applied to another on the same sheet

The short answer is that is not a simple matter - because we want values for 3 dimensions to  act in different ways at the same time

the approaches this is usually done is to make 3 separate bar charts (worksheets) and bring them together on a single dashboard

Or to duplicate the date set and then bring in copies with " union " - that will create 3 tables that are appended -

then working with each "table' in the union as one the dimensions that create a bar

Pretty complex

Jim

• 6. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
                    Lashaw Salta

yes that's what i'm looking for Jim! Do you have a place I can reference what you're talking about?

I want to try the union way since I want to show a relationship with the numbers but it sounds like I might just have to go with the one bar per sheet

Thanks,

Lashaw Salta

• 7. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
                      Jim Dehner

Good morning see the attached

it returns this

I'll walk you through the union of 3 copies of the data set

On the worksheet

the 3 formulas are

This technique is very useful any time you need to use the same data to do 2 different things in the viz - e.g showing totals and discrete values - getting totals for some table calculations -

Jim

• 8. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
                        Lashaw Salta

This was super helpful Jim, I really appreciate your time and help!

Best,

Lashaw Salta

• 9. Re: Count of Units to Bar Graph
                          Jim Dehner

Glad to help out

Thanks

Jim