3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 3:37 PM by Paul Gonzalez

Multiple Server Filters

Paul Gonzalez

When I connect to a Tableau server, and I extract data using a filter my dashboards work beautifully.  When I specify multiple filters, they work beautifully.  However, when I save my dashboard and try to open them again from the server, the filters are applied in the wrong order and I get NO data.

Does anyone have any advice for keeping filter rules in order?

• 1. Re: Multiple Server Filters
          Jeevan Krishna

Hi Paul,

When you say, you are connecting to tableau and applying a filter, do you mean it as the data source filters?

Can we have some more info on the steps followed to arrive at this issue?

• 2. Re: Multiple Server Filters
            Paul Gonzalez

Yes, I'm referring to data source filters on a live server connection.  And since I originally asked the question I've narrowed the problem down a little more.  These are my server filters:

ServerFilter3.png

The are not listed in the order that I created them.  I created them in the following order:

1. Filtered for Site Name

2. Filtered for Alert Comment Type

3. Filtered for Initiated Timestamp, keeping the newest value.

The image above is the order that they present themselves after I close the filter window and reopen, and after I save and then reopen. They alphabetize themselves.  However, I just noticed that when I create the third filter, 'Initiate TImestamp'  this is the dialog:

ServerFilter6.png

And I select the 'Filter to latest date value when workbook is opened' checkbox.  I need that same filter to be applied after the other two have been applied.  In other words, I need to filter for the newest value after the first two filters have been applied.  Any ideas?

• 3. Re: Multiple Server Filters
              Paul Gonzalez

Thanks for your help.  The thread linked below gave me the alternative answer I needed.

https://community.tableau.com/thread/191098