2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 10:18 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

Data model issue

saurabh.c.0

I have a question on how to model (star schema/ flat denormalised table etc )these 2 tables for getting Region wise Revenue.

Table 1: Sales

SaleIDProductPriceQuantityEmployeeIDDate

1                                          5                               2                                         1                          5.6.2017

2                                           2                                6                                       1                          5.6.2018

Table2: Employee

IdNameRegionRegion Start Date

1                                    A                                 SF                       1.1.2017

1                                    A                                  TX                       1.1.2018

Basically SaleID 1 should map to SF region as that employee was in SF region at that time (table 2 tells that he moved to TX in 2018).so SalesID 2 should map to TX

Hence revenue of SF should be 10 and that of TX should be 12.

Note: I have many records in table 1 and table 2 .

• 1. Re: Data model issue
          Paul Field

One way is to add a colum to the your employee table with a "Date Moved". This is null if it's the employee's current location.

Then we can create a join like:

which will still give us the wrong result, until we add another join (if you can refer to the same column "date" again), or as I couldn't do this using excel, a data source filter:

[Date] <= IFNULL([Date Moved], DATE('1/1/9999'))

Set to "True"

• 2. Re: Data model issue
            Shinichiro Murakami

HI Saurabh

Only available version 10.5.

Use range join for date Sale Date >= Region Start

There are duplication of Sale ID, then remove duplication with picking only newest date of Region Start.

(Already filtered as smaller than Sale date)

Thanks,

Shin