1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 4:36 PM by swaroop.gantela

Selecting row to use based on cell content

Richard Couillard

Hi. I need to filter what appears in my Views based on the following criteria but don't know how to do it. I am hoping someone more experienced in Tableau than I might know how. I have attached a copy of the Tableau twbx file. I am using version 10.5.2

In the projects worksheet you will see a listing of projects broken down by client and Project #. You will also see that some projects have multiple rework versions, indicated by a "(Vx)" in the Project name. There could be more than one rework project as shown in TBU-1-P8 where there is the initial project and then a (V2) and a (V3) version of the project.

I only want to use the latest version of that project in my Views but don't know how to create or set a filter to identify projects that have a rework version and then only use the latest version for calculating cost etc..

Thoughts / Suggestions?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Selecting row to use based on cell content
          swaroop.gantela

Richard,

Here is a suggestion that is specific to the shown Project# naming convention.

You can first group all the same base projects by stripping off the () part using [Project # Base]:

IF FIND([Project #],"(")=0 THEN [Project #]

ELSE LEFT([Project #],FIND([Project #],"(")-2)

END

Then you can get the Max Project using [MaxProject]:

{ FIXED [Project # Base]:MAX([Project #])}

Then you can filter with:

[Project #]=[MaxProject]

Please see sheets "Full Table" and "Filtered Table"

in the workbook attached in the Forum thread.