7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 8:37 AM by Stephen Groff

LoD needed?  Unsure why the breakdown gives a static total sum

Stephen Groff

Good Day to everyone.

I am new to Tableau so forgive my ignorance.

I've added to different tables to my Tableau workbook:  Machines (the number of machines built) and Defects (the number of defects recorded during the assembly process).

The goal is to get the Defects per Unit.  Simple math Defects/Machines = DPU.

Believe it or not I've been working for a solid week trying to get my data to show me accurate DPUs for our facility, but I cannot.  All of this information is in a single table with 160 columns and a million rows... It's convoluted and I don't know what I'm doing, so I created 2 custom SQL queries and I'm using those to blend the data.

My question here....  My DPU is being calculated incorrectly because my Machine count is a SUM total.  I've created a 'Date' relationship so I am unsure why that isn't taking care of this problem.  See the attached picture to understand my issue.

Anyway... I need the total number of machines built for EACH month, not the total SUM of machines built.  I believe this requires an LoD calculation, but I am uncertain.

Any solutions or guidance would be appreciated.  Please don't tell me to take the online courses... I've done them all... Twice.