0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 6:16 AM by Gaylon Alfano

YOY/YTD Comparison (School applications)

Gaylon Alfano

Hi Tableau community - I've been searching, reading, and experimenting with several of the suggestions mentioned here on the forums regarding how to calculate YOY and/or YTD comparisons. One thread that came up again and again is this one (certainly worth the read if you haven't yet): YOY YTD Bar Chart  My situation is similar to the one shared in that thread. However, I need to take my calculation one step further.

I'm trying to compare YOY/YTD applications submitted for various grade levels throughout a given year and be able to further break that down academic years.  A common question I encounter is: How many applications did we have for Grade X, at Y point in time, for Z school year? For example, let's say a standard academic year starts in mid-August and ends around mid-June. However, applications can be received at any time and for current or future school year (e.g., currently we're in the 2017-2018 school year but today received five applications - two for this school year, three for the 2018-2019 school year). I've attached a workbook with some sample data to give you an idea.

On the first viz, I went through the steps outlined from the link/thread above. However, I need to break it down one more level to the actual school year, which I'm finding difficult to do. Our applications have a "Date of App" date field and our school years are essentially the "Sheet" field that Tableau generates.

You'll see that I've tried a few different methods but so far to no avail. I've even tried to use the viz in tooltip feature, but can't seem to get it to show a running total breakdown by grade as one alternative way to answer the main question. Sigh. Clearly much more to learn but thank you in advance for any tips/advice/suggestions.