2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 10:25 PM by koushik.neelakantha

Difference b/w subscription(scheduling) vs scripting

koushik.neelakantha

Hello Everyone,

Could anyone please explain me the difference, going with subscription(Scheduling) and creating scripts for extract refresh/ email.

On tableau server for extract refresh or sending email to users, I can go with subscription option. Then what is the use of creating scripts and placing scripts on server.

Example: 1) I need to refresh the extract at 9.00AM daily. I can create a schedule on server so that extract refreshes every day at 9:00AM.

2) Created a script for extract refresh and placed on the server. scheduling team scheduled the refresh at 9.00AM daily.

What is the difference between point 1 & 2. Why to go for scripting why not scheduling or VICE VERSA. What are the advantages and disadvantages.

Regards,

Koushik.

• 1. Re: Difference b/w subscription(scheduling) vs scripting
          Jambesh Mahapatra

Hi Koushik,

In the case of point -1 , Tableau will refresh the extract at the schedule time irrespective of your source table used in your data source  have data loaded or not .

In scenario -2 : You have full control on when to trigger your extract ... example , you have a ETL job which load the table , Your script can wait for the ETL to finish loading the table (Once loading complete) you can have file watcher place on a shared path from ETL and your script will trigger the extract the moment it see a filewatcher(which means you have the latest data in table).

Your script can also send customize email to a distribution list which you can't achieve in your scenario-1 .

In scenario-1, You will get email only when extract failed not Success and secondly you can't send email to a distribution list  (it will send the extract owner).

Hope this helps  with pros & cons of triggering the extract through script vs using the tableau server scheduler.

Unless you want the custom option(setting dependency) on source/custom distribution on failure etc , you may not need the script option and the out of box schedule options work.

Thanks

Jambesh

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Difference b/w subscription(scheduling) vs scripting
            koushik.neelakantha

Excellent explaination Jambesh. I really liked the explaination.