2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2018 10:51 AM by Kelly Figueroa

Tableau License

Vishal Shah

Hello

I was using my Tableau desktop license on the 2 laptops I have, unfortunately one the laptop died and there is no way for me to deactivate the license that was being used. What is best option I have to deal with this ?

• 1. Re: Tableau License
          Nathan Panuco

Ignore it unless there are other symptoms. You can activate the license a number a number of times before there will be any adverse issues (like errors saying it's been activated too many times). Tableau Tech Support can fix a license issue if it's been fulfilled too many times - it's a pretty typical issue. It is best practice to deactivate the license, but it isn't the end of the world if you don't.

Related: Error "max extra activations exceeded" | Tableau Software

• 2. Re: Tableau License
            Kelly Figueroa

We allow a small bit of wiggle room for just this issue - where it is not possible to perform a deactivation of the product key prior to using the software on a new machine.  Some examples - IT wipes a machine or there is a crash which causes a re-install of the OS.

When moving the key to a new machine installation, best practice is to deactivate the key first.  As mentioned above, not doing so will result in a maximum activation error and the key will not be usable.