1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2018 7:41 AM by Tim Dines

Filling in select states on a map if no records exist in data source

Scott Kailey

Hello all,

I have a tricky one today and I have tried everything I can think of.

I am trying to create a map in a worksheet of Tableau.  This map is a footprint of states (about 15 states) only.  I have a filter that is set to update any worksheet across the workbook using the same datasource.  My problem is that when I filter to certain "deals" those states in the footprint that don't have a balance for a particular deal don't show up.  I have set the map to completely wash out everything so only the states that are populated show up on the map.  This only works if there is a value for those states, otherwise the states are missing.

statescomplete.jpgstatesmissing.jpg

In the past, I have had to create a seperate data source that sums up the totals for these states based on deal, forcing a total of $0 for states that didn't have a balance.  Because it wasn't connected to the main datasource, I had to filter this map individually.  This meant I had to have 2 seperate filters on the same dashboard and it was very cumbersome.  I would like to be able to do this without a new datasource.

I would like to be able to figure out a way to force a $0 for records that don't exist in the database so these states will fill in.  For example, if there are no records for Deal #1 in the state of Georgia, have a calculation of $0 so the map will fill in.

I have looked for a way to do this for hours with no luck.  I am hoping someone here has a trick for me.  My end users are not going to be very happy with multiple filters on the same dashboard.  This is proprietary data so I am not able to provide a workbook, just screenshots.  If any other screenshots will help, please let me know.

1 2 3 Previous Next