2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 11:18 AM by Beatrix Balogh

Grouping cities makes other cities disappear from map

Beatrix Balogh

Using Tableau Desktop 10.5.1:

I am testing how we can group cities from a data set with some discrepancies around city being a free text field, but have run into a few issues/questions.

If there are multiple cities with the same generated lat/long, does Tableau just map the very first one that appears in the data?

I did a test by grouping only those cities that are misspelled variations of Buffalo (BUFFALO, BUFFLO, BFLO, etc) and leaving the rest as is. For some reason when mapping the grouped cities dimension, Philadelphia PA drops out of the map (likely others drop out too, that one is just the most obvious to me) and I get a ton of unknowns again. When I click on the unknown mark at the bottom right, it doesn't show 262 unknowns, it still shows the small amount that the ungrouped cities map unknowns had. Why does this happen when grouping cities?

Also, with the grouped Buffalo variations, Buffalo also disappears from the map, but I figured this is because there might be some issues with not all of them having the same lat/long - is that correct?

I've attached the example workbook and some screenshots. Our group is looking into why we have these naming discrepancies in general and addressing those, but it still worries me as to why grouping a set of cities would cause a completely different city that is not part of that group to no longer be mapped.

Thanks in advance!

ungrouped cities philadelphia.png grouped city of buffalo -philadelphia missing.png