2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 6:23 AM by John Hobby

Communication with the Tableau Protocol Server process was lost

John Hobby

Howdy ya'll,

So, I'm going to guess that someone is going to recommend just opening a support ticket but before doing that I wanted to hit up the community to see if anyone else has had this problem and might be able to shed more light on what's going on.

The error message below has started to show up on some of our extracts.  We have about 355 extracts that run against an Oracle db using custom sql every Sunday starting at 7am.  This process has been running very good for about 4 months, until this past weekend when random extracts started kicking out the error below.  The extracts fail between 1000 seconds and ~9000 seconds.  Our server has been bumped up to allow 14000 seconds for extracts (about 4 hours from the default 2 hours).  Right now, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for this error that I can find.   Odd thing is that there were a lot of other extracts that succeeded around these failures - making things a little more puzzling.  Our server is configured to run 16 backgrounder processes at a time and still only uses about 30% of the total server resources during the extract refresh.

I'm stumped right now on where else to look.  I don't have access to log into our actual server, so waiting on our tech team to send me some windows log files for me to look through.  I did download the server log file generated from yesterday, but not sure where to look for sometime to help explain what the problem might be.

It may be inevitable for me to open a ticket - but thought I would reach out here first.

Error Message:

Task ID:  392777

Task:  Refresh Extracts

Status of Job:  Error

Created at:  4/9/2018 AM 6:00:02

Started At:  4/9/2018 AM 6:00:03

Completed At:  4/9/2018 8:16:06 AM

Runtime:  8163 sec

Priority:  50

Backgrounder:  tp-04

Backgrounder ID:  tp-04:2:7

com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.dll.DataSourceException: The connection to the data source might have been lost. ExternalProtocol::PipeMessageSource::ReadBytes: Communication with the Tableau Protocol Server process was lost.