2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2018 5:33 PM by lisa.brisenoalaimo

How does my datasheet need to be configured to recreate this view?

lisa.brisenoalaimo

OK, so I created this view with a datasheet I no longer have. I have the data again, but how it is formatted isn't allowing me to recreate this view. Any assistance would be helpful. First view is what I did and forgot how I had the data formatted. Second view is all I get with how I have the data formatted today. Including partial data source and twbx of how it is today. I want the first view back and am stuck. Thanks, Lisa

MonthlyTrendLine.pngall.png

• 1. Re: How does my datasheet need to be configured to recreate this view?
          Ken Flerlage

The ideal structure for your source data would be to have a row for each type and status. So you'd have columns for: Date, Type, Status, and then the total value. Having fields for the status (i.e. Open or Resolved) and the type (i.e. Ticket, Change, etc.) would prevent you from needing to do anything further to transform your data, but if you don't have those, then you have a couple of options.

With the current format, you'll first want to pivot your data in Tableau. Then, if the names of each of the columns are static (i.e. you won't be adding more columns), then you can use groups. Create one Group for Status and one Group for Type. Another option, particularly if there is some variance to the number of columns, is to use calculated fields. For example

Type

IF CONTAINS([Pivot Field Names], "Chg") THEN

"Change"

ELSEIF CONTAINS([Pivot Field Names], "Inc") THEN

"Incident"

ELSE

"Task"

END

Status

IF LEFT([Pivot Field Names],6)="Closed" THEN

"Resolved/Closed"

ELSE

"Opened"

END

The above assume you've already pivoted your data and that you've just kept the default field name for the pivoted columns.

I've attached a workbook that uses both options.

• 2. Re: How does my datasheet need to be configured to recreate this view?
            lisa.brisenoalaimo

Thanks. I ended up putting the data into columns. Not easy, but easier than fooling around with calculations right now. Thanks for the help.