5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2018 12:02 PM by Mike Mainzer

Scatterplot Drill Down

Paul Gonzalez

I'm following a guide to create a particular application of a gauge chart using the SuperStore data.  I'm a little confused as to why the author is able to drill down into the data by the dimension "Product Sub-Category" but I don't have that option.  My image looks like this:

MyGauge.png

But it should look like this (from the author):

theirGauge.png

Notice that the author's image has only one plot for the 17 Product Sub-Category headings, while mine has 1,952 plots for every single data point.

If you didn't click on the link at the beginning, this is a scatter plot using Sine, Cosine and Pi operators to plot these datapoints on a curve.

Here' the link again in long format:

Dueling Data: How To Create a Gauge Chart in Tableau (UPDATED)

• 1. Re: Scatterplot Drill Down
          Mike Mainzer

That's because he created a hierarchy. Notice on his image, the Sub-Category has a little '-' next to it?

You achieve this in one of two ways:

1. Take your 'Product Sub-Category' dimension and drag it into the 'Product Category Dimension'. It will give you some prompts about creating a hierarchy

2. Hold control and select both of them. Right-click one of them and select 'Create >> Hierarchy.'

Now you will have a new hierarchy created. So instead of bringing 'Product Sub-Category to Detail, drag the hierarchy itself to detail. Then you'll get the '+' and '-' symbol for drilling in and out of your hierarchy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scatterplot Drill Down
            Paul Gonzalez

Thank you this is helpful, but not the solution.  When  I do it this way I end up with more plots than before, or so it seems.  I'm not sure if: 1. The plots are just more spread out and appear to be more, or 2. if the newly created hierarchy is creating a new plot for both categories when I expand the pill.  It seems I'm missing a critical piece of understanding of something that Tableau does automatically in some visuals, but not in this plot.

However, in a different chart type the sub-category is correctly aggregated.  This is the table that is created elsewhere in the tutorial and all of the values are the ones that I wish were in my x,y plot:

MyTable.png

Tableau correctly creates the 17 subcategories that I want and the appropriate single x and y coordinate for a single point.

• 3. Re: Scatterplot Drill Down
              Mike Mainzer

Can you show the plot where you attempted the hierarchy solution with the scatterplot? Or share workbook?

• 4. Re: Scatterplot Drill Down
                Paul Gonzalez

Certainly, I'll do both.

heirarchy.png

• 5. Re: Scatterplot Drill Down
                  Mike Mainzer

Great. I'll be able to take a look at the workbook tomorrow and get back to you, unless someone is able to help before then.

However, in looking at your image, it appears that Product Sub-Category is above Category in your hierarchy. Try dragging sub-category below Category in the hierarchy drop-down. When they're in the order you currently have them, Tableau 'thinks' that Category is actually the sub-category.