4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 2:34 PM by Shri Siva

multiple measures on dual axis

Shri Siva

Hi,

I have requirement where I have 3 measure to be displayed in the same graph

SUm(total) - Bar graph

Cumulative sum(total) - line

%failure in line

I got the graph like below where %failure is at the bottom not visible because right axis is taken by Cumulative sum(total) .

I want the right axis to hold the % failure instead of  Cumulative sum(total) so that the % failure line can be visible.

I tried many ways but not getting it. I have attached the workbook .Please let me know how to change the right axis

• 1. Re: multiple measures on dual axis
          Mike Mainzer

First, I would synchronize your axis. Right-click one of your axes and select 'Synchronize axis'. This will show the true relative size between your line and your bars.

As for seeing the % failure on this view, you're not going to be able to. Your values are in the hundreds of thousands, and your percentages are all below 20. They're just too small.

If you want to see the failure, you need to instead use the total of failures, not the percentage. So, for example, your '11+' group had 10% failure. If you were to use the total failures instead, your grey line would be 4,163.

Even then, it's such a small number it probably won't be visible.

I recommended removing your running total from the chart completely and try a different chart type.

• 2. Re: multiple measures on dual axis
            Shri Siva

no users need all 3 measures in same graph.they have done this in excel and they want to do the same in Tableau

is there any other option to the get the graph like below

• 3. Re: multiple measures on dual axis
              Mike Mainzer

Gotcha.

Your problem is that your Tableau chart has the wrong value for your orange line. Your orange line is a running total, whereas in the snapshot out of Excel, that line is a PERCENTAGE of cumulative failure. So in Tableau, you need to convert your running total into a percentage of total. Then your right axis till be from 0% to 100% and your grey and orange lines will show up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: multiple measures on dual axis
                Shri Siva

thanks Mike .I did nt realize that it was cumulative percentage