1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 6:36 AM by Zhouyi Zhang

IF THEN ELSE, ELSE IF - Long Calculated Field - Help Navigating Please

Stephen Groff

I have 2 tables - Both from the same data source

Table 1 is initially filtered to show me how many machines we've built.  This gives me an accurate # of machines built.  So this table is solid.

(the second table is the exact same information, just unfiltered (left join))

Table 2 is the same information, just unfiltered, and from this table I need to input a calculated field that identifies all my defects per machine

(the idea being that I can take (# of defects/# of Machines) to get my Defects Per Unit

There are many parameters that need to be met before I get to my # of defects

[CA ID] <> "0_defects"

[FA ID] <> "600", "700-706", "800", "900"

[Q/V] <> "V"

[Disposition] = null

[Event Desc] cannot start with "0" AND cannot contain "defects"

So far I have multiple calculations that may or may not work... but I'm trying to get them into a single calculation:

*works*

IF STARTSWITH([Event Type-D], "0") THEN "Ignore"

ELSEIF CONTAINS([Event Desc-D], "defects") THEN "Ignore"

ELSE "Defect"

END

*works*

IF [CA ID-D]="0_DEFECTS" then "Ignore" ELSE "Defect" END

*does not work*

IF [FA ID-D]="600" OR "700" OR "701" OR "702" OR "703" OR "704" OR "705" OR "706" OR "800" OR "900"

THEN "Ignore" ELSE "Defect" END - "Can't logically "OR" boolean and string values"

*does not work*

IFNULL([Dispo Cd-D]) THEN "Defect" ELSE "Ignore" END - "Syntax error"

I've justed moved over from PowerPivot and I'm racking my brain against Tableau's logic, so I'm new to all this.  If you can offer any help or advice I would appreciate it.