2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 6:33 PM by charon wang

How to show different charts (with different types) based on values in a table

charon wang

Hi,

I would like to build a dashboard with different charts. First of all, I have a table shows a list of payment group information, ie: transaction in China, transaction in SEA. Then, if any group is clicked, then it will show more details of that group in another table below. ie: If I click on "transaction in China", there is a list appears shows detail information of "people-place-amount". And then, if anything clicked in the second list, a bar chart or pie chart or map will be shown based on what kind of payment group has been selected. ie: if "transaction in SEA" is selected in the first table, and "person A-Singapore-$50" row is selected, then a map will be shown with highlighted Singapore area. However if "transaction in China" is selected in the first table, and "person B-China-$30" row is selected, then a bar chart will be shown with his payment amount. --> the first table selection will determine the type of chart, and the second table will determine the values, numbers showing in the chart.

My question is:

Is Tableau able to show different charts with different cells/rows selected in a table?

• 1. Re: How to show different charts (with different types) based on values in a table
          nikher verma

Hi Charon Wang ,

Yes tableau can handle this , you need to create different worksheets as per your requirement and then add all those in a dashboard . Now about the clicking thing ,you can do that with "Actions"  ( Dashboard -> Actions) you will get this dashboard option when you will be on dashboard .

You can get what you are looking for  even if you will hover over your data  .

-Nikher

• 2. Re: How to show different charts (with different types) based on values in a table
            charon wang

Hi Nikher,

Thanks for your reply.

I know that Action is able to connect between charts and worksheets. But I have no idea of how to use Action to control different worksheets by selecting different cells in a table. Could you please elaborate more on that or is there any tutorial talking about that?

As shown below, I have done the first part which uses the first list to control the content in the 2nd list. However, I am not sure about the 2nd part: use the 1st list to choose the chart type (bar chart or map), and use the 2nd list to control the values shown in the chart.

explain.png

- Charon