I have had issues with setting up SSL on out Tableau server hosted on a VM.
But eventually figured out a solution.
I am not too sure about wild card certificates that Tableau can accept.
Having said that.
(1) When you open Tableau after setting up SSL on the VM machine, does Tableau throw a warning/error ?
(2) Does this warning persists when you try open Tableau from your local desktop machine .
If it works for scenario (1) and does not for scenario (2) . Its a certificate issue.
When you enable SSL on the server settings on the Tableau Server VM does the window show a graceful exit. If it does nto I would recommend examining the server logs.
Thanks for sharing your experience. i have error certificate error saying "mismatched address" on VM and local computers which also does not let me log in. Also when i enable SSL it gives me a graceful exit which i believe it accepts the SSL certificate the thing is that i don't how to change the address of tableau server.
I would eliminate these first:
(1) Get with your network folks and see if there's any blocking from your desktop --> the Taleau Server (tableauserver1.mydomain.local)
(2) https connections for Tableau usually talk on port:443 , see if there's any connection coming into this port , network software should be able display that.
(3) You mentioned you have a "*.domain.org" certificate , did you install it and go thru mmc (microsoft management console) and install the certificate . Then get the crt and key files and apply these in the Server manager console?
It might help to open a ticket with Tableau as fast using wildcard certs.
You mention your Tableau Server is on "domain.local" and your wildcard cert is for "domain.org" - these two do not match, which would explain the error you are seeing. You'll want to work with your internal IT team on how to rename your computer and/or attach it to the correct domain, and then get an SSL certificate created that matches your computer. If you get a matching certificate, and you still see errors, Tableau Support can help sort out what is going on. The first step will be getting a matching certificate and going from there
Hi Murali and Carisa,
Thanks for all your suggestions this gives a lot of insights. Sad part i am part of the IT team(small team) we are helping one of our employee to build tableau server for their project. I myself is new to deploying SSL and reverse proxy and my team also has little knowledge about this. I'll do all your advise and update this thread once i figured this out.