I had the exact same issue a few days back. I checked the 'Used Data Interpreter' option and I could see the updates- you can try that if you haven't yet.
Although, I am not really sure the exact reason for this behavior but I would say number of sheets, hidden fields, excel validations, filters, location of the file (especially if its in a shared folder or SharePoint ,etc. )may have a role to play.
1. check if your excel file is closed when you sre refreshing
2 press update now in data view
1 of 1 people found this helpful
If you've saved your workbook as a TWBX it may have cached the Excel file in your workbook. Use Edit Data Connection to re-select the local Excel file on your computer.
Are you publishing to Tableau Server?
If you are, uncheck "Include external files" and make sure that the Tableau server has access to the file location.
Thanks for all the replies. Here are a few responses:
- I tried the data interpreter and it didn't seem to surface up the updated cell.
- The Excel file does live in a shared folder with my virtual machine (I'm on a Mac and use VM to run Windows). So I've copied that file into a regular folder on my Mac and updated the connection on all of the data sources to point to that new location. It still doesn't surface up the updated cell.
- I made sure the Excel file was closed. It still doesn't surface up the updated cell.
- My Tableau file is saved as .twb.
- I do ultimately publish to Tableau Online but this issue is already present when I am updating the data sources on Tableau Desktop.
I'm so frustrated...
For Tableau Online, why not do Google Sheets?
Thanks. I checked that and my connection is not pointing to a cached version of the file.
Figured this out... I'm having Alteryx update some sheets. Some sheets were not being updated and those sheets also had calculated fields. So the way to resolve this was to open up the file and re-save so that the calculated fields have a chance to re-calculate. The key is remember to save the file after letting those fields re-calculate.
Unfortunately, none of these worked for me. It's terribly frustrating to have to deal with this for a simple table of values in an Excel sheet. I finally had to just start over.
New User here! This very frustrating indeed! It seems that Excel isn't saving the changes because Tableau is linked to the worksheet. Thus, Excel give me the notification "can't save data because it's in use..." when I try to save my updates to the worksheet.
I will re-read the suggests above and see if any of the solutions will work for me and will report back below.