1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 6:44 PM by patrick.byrne.0

Split up desktop workbook to publish in partitions to improve performance?

Ben Perlman

I have a very large workbook that I have published to the server that runs very slow.  I'm trying to diagnose where my issues are and one thing I'm considering is publishing it in parts (it would still be coming from the same desktop workbook, but split into 2-3 folders of groups of dashboards in tabs on the server).  Is this likely to increase performance?

Another thing I'm thinking of is splitting the actual workbook into 2-3 separate files on the desktop, then uploading those individually as well. 

Any thoughts on if this would increase performance or not worth a shot?

• 1. Re: Split up desktop workbook to publish in partitions to improve performance?
          patrick.byrne.0

Hi Ben,

There could be a chance for some increased performance for publishing and viz interaction depending on how the workbook is contructed. Being able to tailor a data source down can improve performance. Also, if there is a worksheet that is laded with in-depth nested table calculations you could see some performance increase from having these in separated workbooks.

It also depends on where you are seeing the perfomance degradation. If this merely for decreasing the time it takes to publish the workbook reducing the workbook size will help increase this performance. Other issues can be little tricky to diagnos and sometimes require running a performance recording to test the different options.

I would start by investigating the workbook from the Tableau Desktop side using the below instructions.

A  Performance Recording can be created in Tableau Desktop with the following.

a. To start recording performance, follow this step in Tableau Desktop:

++ Help > Settings and Performance > Start Performance Recording

b. To stop recording, and then view a temporary workbook containing results from the recording session, follow this step:

++ Help > Settings and Performance > Stop Performance Recording

c. You can then save this workbook as a packaged workbook (.twbx) file, and send it to Tableau support.

More information on performance recordings can be found here: Record and Analyze Workbook Performance

Then additoinally you can analyze how the workbook performs after getting onto to the Tableau Server using the following.

Create a Performance Recording

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

1 of 1 people found this helpful