11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 11:32 AM by Michael Perillo

Tableau Server upgrade Issues

Manoj Kavali

Hi,

We recently upgraded tableau server from 9.2 to 10.4. After the upgrade, we are getting the error. We are trying to access the workbook views and we are getting this error. I tried  "tabadmin set gateway.public.host" step but that didn't work out. Can you please let us know any solution for this issue?

An unexpected error occurred. If you continue to receive this error please contact your Tableau Server Administrator.

Session ID: 653C76D8E60A4AC69372E819809937A8-0:0

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SSL Security error

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (SECCreateCredentials()).

Unable to connect to the server "". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

2018-03-28 20:00:21.977, (Wrv0FwoqlcQAABDMOhcAAAD5,0:0)

Would you like to reset the view?

• 1. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
          John Kuo
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
            Manoj Kavali

You mean update database driver on the server where I installed the Tableau?

• 4. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
              Manoj Kavali

I updated database driver. Still I am getting same error.

An unexpected error occurred. If you continue to receive this error please contact your Tableau Server Administrator.

Session ID: 30D899FCDA5545A4965C3689B22B7223-0:0

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SSL Security error

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionOpen (SECCreateCredentials()).

Unable to connect to the server "". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

2018-03-28 20:39:27.166, (Wrv9QAoqlcQAACooP3sAAAE8,0:0)

• 5. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
                Manoj Kavali

I reinstalled PostgreSQL database driver. By seeing above error do I need install SQL database driver? Please suggest I am new to the tableau.

• 6. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
                  Manoj Kavali

I am getting the new error after installing SQL database driver.

Session ID: 00C237A87AA94BD09CBCFFE962366FEE-0:0

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'dbo.biCases'.

The table "[dbo].[biCases]" does not exist.

2018-03-28 20:55:58.800, (WrwBXgoqlcQAACuYJ3IAAAE@,0:0)

• 7. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
                    Toby Erkson

Manoj Kavali wrote:

I am getting the new error after installing SQL database driver.

Session ID: 00C237A87AA94BD09CBCFFE962366FEE-0:0

[Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name 'dbo.biCases'.

The table "[dbo].[biCases]" does not exist.

2018-03-28 20:55:58.800, (WrwBXgoqlcQAACuYJ3IAAAE@,0:0)

Well this one is easy, it tells you that the biCases table does not exist.  The "unable to connect..." is essentially additional fallout from the first error.

• 8. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
                      Manoj Kavali

You know what, I didn't understand your answer. I don't know how you told this one is easy.

biCases table doesn't exist, I am not the user or developer who created this workbook. I am just server admin supporting tableau

note from user:- they never saw this issue before the upgrade, my guess something messed up or missed during the tableau upgrade. I am trying to find out what was missed.

-Manoj

• 9. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
                        Manoj Kavali

Any help on this issue?

• 10. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
                          Manoj Kavali

Any help on this issue?

• 11. Re: Tableau Server upgrade Issues
                            Michael Perillo

Hey Manoj,

Based on your last response it seems the object name dbo.biCases does not exist.  The error does not imply a firewall is blocking access, so try the steps above.  More than likely the table was dropped or renamed.

• To be sure this isn't a dropped table, make sure you have relevant Microsoft SQL Server drivers installed on your server(s). If you're running a multi-node install, my recommendation is to install the drivers on all machines, however the note below identifies where drivers must be installed. 
                            • You should have a working version of Tableau Desktop on your server for testing, if you don't you can install the trial
                            • If you have access to the database in question, using Tableau Desktop create a connection to the database and see if the table exists. If you do not have proper credentials to the database, please connect with your developer (person who created the dashboard) and see if they can assist you with testing
                            • Doing this will make sure that you can connect to the SQL database and determine if the table exists. 
                              • If it's confirmed that the table exists but can't be detected from Tableau Server, check that the credentials being used have access to the table

Note:

Install drivers in a cluster

You need to install the drivers for your data sources on the initial node in a Tableau Server cluster. If you install Tableau Server on multiple nodes, you must also install drivers on any node that runs any of the following processes:

• Application Server (Vizportal)
                            • Backgrounder
                            • Data Server
                            • VizQL Server
                            1 of 1 people found this helpful