2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 12:36 AM by Donna Coles

Get Favorites from Tableau Server Repository

Robert Janezic

Hello All,

So I'm able to get the view/workbooks that people favorited. But now I need a way to get the URL info related to the workbooks/views URL but I've been having a hard time. I know that info is in other tables I just can't figure out the correct joins. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

• 1. Re: Get Favorites from Tableau Server Repository
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Robert,

I have moved this post to the Server Administration group where more Tableau Server Administrators are exposed to the question and may assist. 

Patrick 

• 2. Re: Get Favorites from Tableau Server Repository
            Donna Coles

Hi Robert

I use the following query to get a list of favourites per user which includes a URL

SELECT row_number() over (partition by su.name order by position) as "Position", su.name as "Username", su.email as "Email",ali.useable_type as "Type",ali.usedobj_name as "Favourite",

CASE WHEN ali.useable_type = 'View' THEN 'views/' || v.repository_url

WHEN ali.useable_type = 'Workbook' THEN 'workbooks/' || w.repository_url

END AS "Url"

FROM asset_lists al

JOIN asset_list_items ali ON ali.asset_list_id = al.id

JOIN system_users su ON su.id = al.owner_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN views v ON v.id = ali.useable_id AND ali.useable_type = 'View'

LEFT OUTER JOIN workbooks w ON w.id = ali.useable_id AND ali.useable_type = 'Workbook'

This generates data like :

I think at some point from v8 to v10 the URL format changed a bit, so I've also then created a calc field in my data source to modify the URL when the string containts /sheet/

I use this data source on our internal company landing page - we're currently running v10.1.1.  There's a possibility the postgres db may have changed since then so I can't vouch whether the query still works, but hopefully it gives you an idea of where to start.

Donna

PS - think the NULL rows are favourites where the view/workbook has since ben deleted from the sever - I filter these out in my Tableau view.