7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2018 3:51 PM by Tiffany Maestas

Different number format for display vs download data option

Joy Quadras

Hello,

I have a column chart where sales value is displayed in Millions ( e.g. $7M) , however the users need to download the data from the server , but when downloading they want to see the actual numbers unformatted (e.g. 70000000.00). Is there a way through which we can have different formatting for displayed data labels vs the downloaded ones?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Different number format for display vs download data option
          Jim Dehner

see the attached

Tableau will bring in the number in the format provided by the source

you can control the output format as shown below

I just took the sum(sales) from superstore and formated the viz 3 ways - in the original  - in thousands - and in millions

a box will open and you can customize the format

thins is what the 3 values look like

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Different number format for display vs download data option
            Ish Ja

Can u clarify what do you mean by downloading?..User wants to see unformatted number when they download to Excel/PDF

• 3. Re: Different number format for display vs download data option
              Jim Dehner

I see - misinterpreted the need here

I don't have a solution for you

sorry

Jim

• 4. Re: Different number format for display vs download data option
                Joy Quadras

So here is a bit more explanation on what is exactly happening:

Users access a specific URL to reach the workbook on the in-house tableau server. Then they select a chart on a dashboard and click download ->crosstab. The hence downloaded crosstab in excel shows the number formatting applied on the chart i.e. $70M.

However the users want that the crosstab shows numbers unformatted i.e. 70000000.00 .

We do know that when users select the Download->Data option the numbers are unformatted, but the users find crosstab more efficient for their use.

• 5. Re: Different number format for display vs download data option
                  Ish Ja

What I can suggest you to make  a copy of your column without any formatting and uncheck the Show Header for this duplicate column. This was this column won't be visible when viewing through tableau server. When you download to cross you can have both the columns showing formatted and unformatted column $7M ,70000000.00 

Otherwise I don't see a solution for this.

If this assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 6. Re: Different number format for display vs download data option
                    Joy Quadras

Well, thanks for the replies but since it is the end users who download the data in crosstab format, it wont be useful to have two same columns with different format.

Thank you!

• 7. Re: Different number format for display vs download data option
                      Tiffany Maestas

Joy,

I know you posted this several months ago, but I was having the same problem. My Chart displayed in Millions (which is what I wanted), but the download to excel was also displaying the measure in thousands. But when looking at it at a transaction level $200 showed as 0.0M in the excel export. 

This fixed it for me.

Format the fields that are incorrectly summed to display with decimals.

1. Open the workbook in Tableau Desktop.
                      2. Right-click the field you want to edit in the Measures pane and select Default Properties > Number Format.
                      3. Choose Number (Custom).
                      4. Under Decimal Places, select at least 2, then click OK.

Example: right click on the measure for default properties--> Number Format

If you want the chart to show in thousands/millions, then you would format the measures in the Marks pane by right clicking and choosing format. Then in the formatting pane. Click the drop down option and choose "Display Units:" as Thousands (K) or Millions (M) or whatever you want your chart to show as.

Hope this helps!